Ethics of News Photography?

JeremyMcG

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I live in a small town in the middle of West Virginia. Population = 6,000 +/-.
While I do travel a lot (my wife is from Ecuador, and I find myself in South America often) I get bored here - even though here is where "work" is.
I recently downloaded an app for my iPhone that allows me to listen in to the City & County police departments, the Fire & EMS, and the local branch of the State Police. Basically, its a scanner on my iPhone.
The local newspaper MIGHT have 2 reporters and one camera between them. It's a decent paper for a small town, but they don't have much of a front page.

I have been considering, for quite some time now, responding to the scenes of accidents, fires, fights, and other "interesting" incidents and taking photographs - but I don't want to be labeled as an ambulance chaser nor do I wish to make enemies in this town. But I do have a fair amount of free time on my hands...

Should I even attempt this?

How do you stand on the side of the road and take photos of an overturned car when there are injuries? What are the ethics regarding that?
I'm fairly certain I am talking myself out of this as I write this post - but I'm curious to know what the rest of you think.

Personally I talked myself out of it decades ago. I disagree with the "Sensationalist" philosophy that causes some to race to the scene of an accident just to get a photograph or news story or client. I know that if I were involved in the accident and someone stuck a microphone or camera in my face they would be eating it for a while.

As a Paramedic, I am unable to properly articulate just how utterly disgusted I am seeing media crews at the scenes of accidents and medical emergencies.
the police and fire department often take pictures of scenes to document where cars/people/other items were at the time of the incident before they get moved....
I have never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER seen any media person or amateur on scene doing anything short of looking for TV ratings or youtube/twitter hits.

Yes, this seems to be a bad idea.
I may tweak my thoughts and heavily censor what it is I chose to respond to.
When there is a fight at the bar and the police are breaking it up - why not?
When there is a DUI check-point, why not take a few shots for posterity. (it is legal to film the police here)

But I'll avoid anything that has injuries or could cause grief to the families involved. That does just seem wrong.

If you want to take pictures for your town newspaper, ask the editor if he would be interested. You may find there are other venues beside accidents they may be interested in you doing. You may even get a job preparing the text. Of course, they may not have the funds to pay you much. So check that out while you're at it.

I think it is a bad idea. One has to have the proper attitude to be a news reporter, and I know I don't have it. As for taking pictures of ANY accident or incident, you are recording images of people in the worst moments. I'd think more times than once or twice about taking pictures of a bar fight because you could be sucked into it way more than you can imagine.

But then, let's suppose you still want to do this. What benefit will you or anyone else realize? Would you expect to be paid? Would the town have better news coverage? Would your wife assent to this plan? Would the existing reporters welcome your help? Would the editor publish your pictures?

Editorial has rules about editing, both in post and when you frame the photo in camera. Your job is to get the photo, while being tasteful, tactful, safe and honest. You will need a strong mind to avoid traumatic stress.

Well, to do that one has to have pure papparazi mentality. Leave that to them.

Before you do anything, go talk to the paper. They will be far more likely to take you seriously and actually run your photos, if this is something you choose to do.

As a newspaper photographer, this is part of my job. I don't particularly enjoy photographing this stuff, but I do think it is important to document car accidents, fires, and other emergencies. Personally, I hope to accomplish two things by documenting these scenes. Nearly all of the wrecks that we go to are the result of someone not paying attention or driving recklessly, and I hope that showing people the consequences will make them consider driving more carefully. Second, our first responders work very hard to help people, and I think it is important to show their efforts.

First responders are really good at their jobs, and if there are injuries, it is surprisingly difficult to get to an accident scene before the people have been taken to the hospital (this is a very good thing). Most of the time, you're only going to be able to photograph emergency personnel cleaning up.

Yep. a bad idea all the way around. reinforced my initial thought of no - to a certain no.

I'm just tired of taking pictures of the scenery here in North Central WV - it seems so tired.
Need to go find some abandoned coal mines and do some photography exploration...

As a Paramedic, I am unable to properly articulate just how utterly disgusted I am seeing media crews at the scenes of accidents and medical emergencies.
the police and fire department often take pictures of scenes to document where cars/people/other items were at the time of the incident before they get moved....
I have never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER seen any media person or amateur on scene doing anything short of looking for TV ratings or youtube/twitter hits.

Wasn't it the media that brought Watergate to light? Media was responsible for bringing our mayor's drug and alcohol problems to light. I'm sure there are those who would prefer all of that never saw the light of day, but, reporters and photojournalists have their job to do, just like you. One of them was just in the news because he was murdered, it can be a dangerous job. Citizen journalists and YouTube have their place too. What happened to Sammy Yatim was recorded by a couple of regular folks with cell phones, just because there was a streetcar stopped in the street with a bunch of police cars. They posted to YouTube and one told the newspaper the video was there. Thanks to them, his family has a hope of justice. Would MADD have any credibility if no newspapers and TV stations reported drunk driving deaths?

Yep. a bad idea all the way around. reinforced my initial thought of no - to a certain no.

I'm just tired of taking pictures of the scenery here in North Central WV - it seems so tired.
Need to go find some abandoned coal mines and do some photography exploration...

Yellow boy never looks good in pictures. Sell those photos to the newspaper and get people to donate to help fix abandoned mine drainage issues. Set up long-term, passive treatment.

If you can find some abandoned mine entrances, those would be good photos. Just be careful when walking around for those--make sure if you're on private property, the landowners know you're there. If not, that'll be the quickest way to find out that the landowner has a gun.

Wasn't it the media that brought Watergate to light? Media was responsible for bringing our mayor's drug and alcohol problems to light. I'm sure there are those who would prefer all of that never saw the light of day, but, reporters and photojournalists have their job to do, just like you. One of them was just in the news because he was murdered, it can be a dangerous job. Citizen journalists and YouTube have their place too. What happened to Sammy Yatim was recorded by a couple of regular folks with cell phones, just because there was a streetcar stopped in the street with a bunch of police cars. They posted to YouTube and one told the newspaper the video was there. Thanks to them, his family has a hope of justice. Would MADD have any credibility if no newspapers and TV stations reported drunk driving deaths?

how many bloodied and mangled bodies did the media put on the air exposing Watergate?
how many children, husbands, and wife's woke up seeing their family member on TV dead or dying exposing the mayors drug problem?
the sensationalism and shock value of showing those images is more important than any consideration to the family or the victims.
They don't post those horrific images because its the only way to get the message across...the do it for the ratings and the clicks.

your mistaking my broadstrokes here for being against all media, or media in general. im not.
what I am against, is the media using someones tragedy to boost their ratings.
how can you compare exposing watergate and government impropriety to a roll over accident on some back road, not even blocking significant traffic, but with injuries?
how does exposing the mangled body of someones wife, or husband, or child to the world benefit the viewers except in shock value ratings?

have you ever had to talk to a family member after a terrible accident? have you ever seen that family members face when they see their loved ones body on the evening news? I have.

I have been the last one to see and touch someones child alive. the last one to see and touch someones wife, husband, and friend... alive.
I have prayed with families with whom i do not share their faith. I have cried with families for the loss of someone i didn't even know.
Dont tell me that someone sitting 100 yards away with a 300mm lens taking pictures of someone fighting for their life for some local tabloid is doing the world some sort of favor. I see no value in "documenting" that for posterity.

I agree that there are journalists just out doing their job, and plenty doing a lot of great work.
but not some group of ambulance chasers just out hoping to get a shot of some mangled corpse for a shocking evening headline.

Well, to be fair, this is a town of 6,000 people.
The last bloody body we had here was in 1987...and technically that body was never found.

While I agree that there are numerous kinds of photos that should never be printed to save the feelings of the victims and affected - there are also several that deserve to be printed.
The car of the idiot who on black turned it upside down in the middle of a freeway because of excessive speed.
The ass getting handcuffed who punched his pregnant wife
The aftermath of the robbery at the liquor store where
Things such as those...

This^

I've thought about this but I honesty felt like I would be more in the way for one thing and 2, I don't think I could stand around snapping shots and not try to help out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back