Europe photos...new to this

Ashlorraine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! Sorry if you noticed the text changed. I messed it up on accident when trying to edit the photos/text haha! But here they are. These are from when I had my old camera (Canonpowershot SD...something lol). I kept the camera in auto since I didn't know exposure even existed until a month ago...but I am getting my first DSLR in 2 weeks so im learning! I know they aren't that amazing but obviously I'm just starting...ok haha

3724950424_a69fa2167a.jpg

3724141327_68b2274ee3.jpg

this one is too bright I think...

You can be harsh but don't be mean!

Last edited:
to me they look like snapshots

You frightened it away, marmots!

Is it me, or has this place taken a turn for the bizarre?

I think it's practically free to take photos in digital media - so you should keep taking photos like crazy!

The top photo - you cut out the edges of the handle and the saucer. This is not horrible, but if you're trying to isolate the coffee cup, you need to make a conscious decision of what is going on at the edges of your photo. I suggest you include the handle and the saucer - as it's easier to crop things out of a photo than wish them back in! Before you click the button, do one last check of the perimeter of the photo and make sure you've included the good stuff and omitted the bad, inasmuch as you possibly can.

The second photo is, in my opinion, a bit washed out. Part of that issue is that you were probably shooting that at mid-day, where the bright, directly overhead sunlight makes everything washed out and generally blah. So, try the same scene (I do like the vertical arrangement, with the blue water, blue sky and buildings) during the sunset or sunrise hours. Do some research online for the qualities of light during those hours. They're my favorite times for photographing - so I am biased.

Overall - they are snapshots, but that's how we all start and you'll still find yourself making the tourist snaps years down the road - nobody is perfect all the time! I have found the way to avoid at least some of the 'tourist snapshot' look is to take pictures from different perspectives. So, don't always photograph the city from standing on your two feet (after all, that's how almost everybody sees it and you are striving for a different perspective, right?) or the coffee cup from a seated position (same thing applies).

Like I said, digital media is practically free. Read books, understand your camera and practice/experiment. If you can't afford a software editor, give picasa (google it) a try for a few months while you save up.

Most reactions

Back