European Champignonship soccer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by doenoe, Jun 9, 2008.

1. doenoe

doenoe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dont know if anyone is following this event, but Holland just kicked Italian butt with a 3-0 victory WOOOHOOOOOOO

This was their first game in this tournament, they still have to play against France and Rumania (or however you call that country) But the win against Italy is a very good start :mrgreen:

2. ernie

ernie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    amazing victory i must say. you totally deserved that 3-0. altough italy did have no luck. starting with that offside goal and then a few balls that got saved just from the goal line. but that's football i guess.

but hey, i'll root for the netherlands (since we're not even in the tournament). when looking at the game they brought ... hup holland hup!

3. PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I thought something was going on today!

Saw 2 cars here in Cheshire flying Dutch flags!!

4. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Soccer is so confusing. The whole offsides rule makes it so slow, yet there's no way around it. :(

That being said, I will cheer for... Spain. Is Spain in the tournament, and are they any good?

5. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    YES!!!NETHERLANDS BEAT ITALY!!!:mrgreen: Anywho, yes, Spain is in, they're in group D along with Greece, Russia, and Sweden. Spain should make it on. And the offside is useful, without there'd be too many 'cherrypickers' and easy goals. Go Poland!

6. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey, for what it matters, France couldn't score against Romania! Ha! Lots of opportunities but the Romanians' defense was pretty tight. As it stands now, Romania and France are ahead of Italy in the group. Woohoo...

7. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I understand the cherrypicker thing. I keep trying to come up with ways to make the games score higher without cheapening the sport, but I'm the only one that wants that to happen :) Maybe its cause I'm American, and I don't have enough exposure to the sport for it to make sense. I always found it interesting how drastically you could change a sport, though, by taking out one rule...

And I can cheer for Poland if you'd prefer. I have no allegiance to any country in Europe with the exception of Finland, which I would assume is not in the event (they're not big in the soccer thing).

BTW, Sunday I hear a radio clip of Germany beating Poland and they describe the soccer game as something along the lines of a classic rivalry between two one-time enemies... I was just amazed that they'd bring up old wartime references in a GAME. I mean, it seemed a bit much for me, but being neither German nor Polish, I cannot really say if it was out of line or not. But it seemed like it would be to me, especially with the connotation the announcer put on it. Just seemed unnecessary.

8. Slaphead

Slaphead TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Following it!!! I couldn't avoid it if I wanted - Zürich has gone absolutely crazy with giant televisions showing football everywhere. I suppose as consolation there'll be a few photo opportunities.

9. doenoe

doenoe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, that wasnt an offside goal. The italian keeper had a collision with one of his defenders and that one was laying on the ground, but outside the lines. So there was still a defender so it couldnt be offside. Italy did have good chances though, 2 of em when del piero entered the game. That guy doesnt need a lot of room to shoot.
    And it was a very nice game, holland played like it used to do some time ago. Everyone here is happy now and cant wait till the next game.

10. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Haha, no worries, cheer for who you want, I just cheer for Poland because I'm Polish, unfortunately they're not the best team around though.... The 'classic rivalry' thing though, Germany and Poland are old rivals in soccer (back when Poland was actually very good in soccer). I don't think its because of past wars.

11. ernie

ernie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you said it, he was outside the lines, so that takes him out of the game. so it was offside.
    but even if that would have been called as offside holland would still have won.

12. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Another good part of the Euro, THE GEAR! I love seeing all those photographers with their huge lenses and pocket-wizards behind the throw-ins or corners, and the 20-something cameras setup directly behind nets...crazy stuff.