Even More Confused - First SLR

porkchop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First off, I'm a noob at photography and have only had p&s cameras in the past. I just had a baby girl recently and would like to get a nice camera to capture some of the precious memories of her growing up. Being a noob at this I want a model that isn't too intimidating, but at the same time I learn pretty quick and don't want to grow out of a entry level model too quick. After looking and researching a lot lately I think I've narrowed my choices down to a few models. From what I've read, they all will give me the quality pictures I want but can anyone comment on the kits and if the lens packages are worth it? I also live on a lake and a telephoto lens would be nice to capture the wildlife I can't get real close to.

Nikon D5000 kit with the 18-55 lens - $700
D5000 kit w/18-55 & 55-200 VR - $850

Canon T2I kit w/18-55 - $850
T2I kit w/18-55 & 55-250 IS - $1000

I also saw a link yesterday to a new Nikon D90 (body only) for $780 and I could probably pick up the 18-55 lens for about $100 or less and the zoom for $150 (both refurbished) for a total of $1030

Right now I'm leaning toward the T2i kit with both lenses, just not sure if the 55-250 lens is one that I'll like or if I should put that extra $150 toward a different lens. I also like the T2i because of the better video capability, however, the 720p of the D5000, and D90 may be enough.

What do you guys think makes a better package deal here?

IMO go with D5000 kit w/18-55 & 55-200 VR - $850

While this DSLR is missing some things experienced SLR users would expect its a great first SLR.

The images it takes are awesome.
Has scene modes just like the P&S you are used to.
Rear screen has a great display and easy to use menus.
I love the fold in screen. Helps with battery life and keeps the screen safe when not in use.

Going from the P&S world to the DSLR world can be a bit scary and I think the D5000 does a great job of making that transition easy.

Unless you have good fieldcraft skills, a 200 mm or 250 mm isn't going to get you very much closer, photographically, to wildlife but you can always crop heavily.

Go ahead and get one for now. You can always later sell it to get a lens that has better reach.

After looking around, the T2i is hard to come by, but I did find one store that has them in stock. They just don't have the two lens package. What they do have is the 18-55 or the 28-135 single lens kit. The 28-135 is significantly more than the other ($250 more) so I'm assuming it's a better lens. Can you guys tell me how much better and if it would be worth getting that one instead?

porkchop,

I too am a noob and looking for a good starter kit. If you do end up with one of your previously mentioned choices, please let me know how the transition from the p&s cam goes. I am worried about spending upwards of $1000.00 (or more), on a cam that I will look at bewildered wondering who I am going to have to pay to teach me how to use the thing and it's attachments lol!

Anyway, good luck on finding the right package for you!

i'm in the same boat as porkchop and piper. i have a D5000 kit w/18-55 & 55-200 VR - $850 plus a 35 mm f1.8.

you'll be able to figure it, the camera itself, out pretty easily.

It won't be the camera that will be difficult, it will be understanding photography, exposure triangle, rule of 2/3rds, composition and post production that will etc, etc, etc that will get you.

don't let this detour you though. even if your the worst photographer ever in the history of photography, the crisp, clear images of your children will be worth every penny in comparison to a p&s.

have fun with whatever you buy!

also the d5000 comes with 2 dvds, one on the d5000 and one one dslr photography in general. also comes with a very basic book on dslr photography that will help you get the basics down

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back