"Evening Flight" Composition C&C please

uplander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was hoping for some input on the composition of this shot. I thought it was a pretty good shot that conveyed it's story without words.

Evening Flight
Shorebirdsandfinches058_edited-2.jpg

Wow... The geese are so crisp! And the lighting and colours are fantastic!

The symetry doesn't appeal to me... But that's just personal taste. It would work if there was more background to the left. Maybe a crop of a single goose would work? Also, you horizon (edge of water) is slightly crooked :)

Wow... The geese are so crisp! And the lighting and colours are fantastic!

The symetry doesn't appeal to me... But that's just personal taste. It would work if there was more background to the left. Maybe a crop of a single goose would work? Also, you horizon (edge of water) is slightly crooked :)
Dang I missed that:grumpy:. I have to say I shot this handheld with a Canon 40D / Canon EF 400 F/2.8 IS USM set up which weighs in at 15 lbs. The horizon was not on my mind at the time of shot, another trip through Photoshop:)

Handheld?! Holy, it so sharp!

The horizon is just off a little, no big deal :D

And photoshop is your friend :p

As for this photo, I like it, cool flight, I wish the second ones feet were up but that is nature and thats what makes the shot imo. I can get by the fact the horz, etc is slightly off, Not all art is perfect and thats what makes it real in my eyes. Sometimes photoshop is just to much........Nice photograph.......

Nice photo, the geese look very sharp and nice. The focus on them is perfect to contrast with the background, in my opinion. Awesome shot!

As for this photo, I like it, cool flight, I wish the second ones feet were up but that is nature and thats what makes the shot imo. I can get by the fact the horz, etc is slightly off, Not all art is perfect and thats what makes it real in my eyes. Sometimes photoshop is just to much........Nice photograph.......

The feet are part of the story as this pair was coming in to land and the second was getting ready to drop in before the first one. I was able to start panning on them about 5 or 6 seconds out. I realized they were going tp swing by me with the sun going down over my shoulderand I just panned till the sun lit them up as they made their slide into the marsh.

I can get by the fact the horz, etc is slightly off, Not all art is perfect and thats what makes it real in my eyes. Sometimes photoshop is just to much...

:lol: Fixing a horizon is the most minimal photoshoping arround! LOL. But I understand what is meant. It just struck me funny in this context. I agree that not all art is "perfect", in this sense. I was just offering advice :wink:

I assure you the lake was "straight." Geez.

Maybe we should try to get the geese to do a low fly-by so we can touch up their eye shadow and lip(goose?)stick? ;) LOL

I like it. just like it is. crooked water and all. crop it and you'll likely not even see the water, unless this was cropped already.

There are many, many people here ( apparently) that think that nature is perfect. It is not. It has flaws. Every tree is not without broken branches, and every duck does not have perfect wings. I've even seen a three legged turtle. get over it.

nice shot. :)

There are many, many people here ( apparently) that think that nature is perfect. It is not. It has flaws. Every tree is not without broken branches, and every duck does not have perfect wings. I've even seen a three legged turtle. get over it.

Oh yeah? Well I've seen a three-headed snake. Ha! :greenpbl:

I'm not sure whether that was directed at me or not...? If it was, I never said nature was perfect! I was just pointing out PHOTOGRAPHY tips. Not animal husbandry, avian flight patterns, or whatever you chose. Sorry if I was misunderstood! ;)

But I must say, there are many diferent ideas on what 'perfect' means. I for one do not consider broken tree-branches imperfections. But we're hijacking this post. So I'll stop now.

:wink:

Lovley sharp image with lovley light, would have liked more room for them to fly into, but thats a minor nitpick, overall a great shot.

Most reactions

Back