Evening/Night filters?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Ghost40, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Ghost40

Ghost40 TPF Noob!

Hello all,

First would like to say this ia my first posting here, as I have found this sight extremely helpful.
    I am just getting back into photography after a number of years (not since high school). I primarily shoot landscapes and "around town" type stuff. But I am moving towards making this more than a hobby.
    With all that said, what, if any, filters should I be using for night time shoots? I do a lot of city scenes, and star trail stuff.
    My equipment is Nikon D40 , with the 18-55mm kit lens. This is my main camera. I use a FinePix 5200 for just some point a shoot stuff.

Thanks in advance

2. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can't image a filter for doing night shots. THe filters for digital work are few, polarizer and ND filters and they will increase the time for the exposure.

Don't know what cdrt filters are.

3. Bagpiper

Bagpiper TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Ghost40. Did you have a particular thing you were trying to achieve with the use of filters? As Ann mentioned I can't think of a filter just for night shooting. But I am no expert either. :D

Cheers
    Jim

4. Buckster

Buckster Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Check out the time stamp of the OP's post folks. This was dredged up by our latest necromancer, who has now been stomped back into the cyberdust from which it arose.

5. Bagpiper

Bagpiper TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Saw that mate! Thanks. I only noticed his exploits after posting. We may never know if Ghost40 found their filters after all. :lol:

Cheers
    Jim

6. ann

Photos NOT OK to edit
    good one Buckster. Missed that one for sure.

However, has anyone else noticed some strange thread popping up with an older date but no way to determine how that happened. For instance this one, how did it get back into the que?

7. Bagpiper

Bagpiper TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Ann. What happened was that someone was adding posts to old threads. He was upto 50 in about 10 minutes. That caused this thread and the others to be put into the new posts queue. Now that our friend has been kicked out - his posts are also gone. So all we have left is our posts and it looks like we started them over.

Make sense?

Cheers
    Jim

8. ann

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, it was strange . I know that 123 person was digging up old post but these didn't have his handle attached. Ah, the light bulb just went on.

I usually look at the date, clueless why, just a habit but I missed it on this one.