Evening on Clydeside

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Resin42, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Resin42

Resin42 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Looking at the weather this evening I was faced with a choice, I could sit here and shoot the sh*t on the forum or get off my big, white butt and take some shots. Not to say you're not all lovely people but...

C&C if you feel inclined. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I shared the view point with another photographer while I was getting the last shot, we chatted a bit and exchanged flickr usernames so I get to do the Pepsi challenge with his 350D. Came home grinning. Success!

2. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    All pretty neat. I think I like #7 the most. Very dramatic effects.

I swear I saw someone else take a pic of #2 and have it not really work out that well. In fact, a number of those look familiar. I must be losing it.

3. realitycheck3907

realitycheck3907 TPF Noob!

I really like #2 and 7. Cant choose which one I like the most.

4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    All very nice; I'd lighten the bird's plumage in #1 a bit, and level the horizon in #7.

5. bullitt453

bullitt453 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    All great shots Resin. I also agree that #2 and #7 are the best of the bunch.

6. midlight21

midlight21 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm a sucker for B&W so I definitely like #3 and #5 , however for #5, it would be nice to see what the shot would have looked like sometime during the day. #7 is very nice too.

7. Resin42

Resin42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks very much all, glad you like.

Yeah that was me, I tried #2 in poor light and couldn't save it, even in mono so I had another go from the other side of the bridge in better light. I couldn't get the light on the exact perspective I wanted but I'm happy with what I got. #4 is also the Glasgow Science tower which I posted on my very first C&C thread about a month ago. It was at first light with better cloud cover and a different perspective (and is actually a better shot). Well remembered.

These are all very well photographed landmarks so I wouldn't be surprised if another Glasgow resident or visitor had posted in the past.

#1 could maybe stand to be lightened a little but it's actually a young gull so it's plummage is very grey to begin with. #7 I looked at for a very long time for straightness. The river and skyline actually kink off to the right and when I checked the tower it was perfectly plumb in the unaltered shot (YAAAS!) so I left it as was.

Cheers, I hould have something in slightly better light of the scene, I'll post it later today.

I'm particularly pleased with #7. I finally found a sweet spot in the manual settings that stopped the sun flaring and preserved some foreground detail, which is something I had real problems with on my last sunset shoot, (1/80, f/16, ISO 200 if I remember) so I pretty much had could just point and shoot while the sun sank. I have tons more but this is my favourite. I think I might be half blind though.

Thanks again.

8. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, let me assure you that with a sky and sunset like that it would have been a shame had you decided to stay sitting on your "big, white butt" (you call it that yourself! ;)), only in order to keep chatting with the people on TPF ... :wink:

What is the structure we see in 4?
    I must say that I personally like that one quite a bit!

9. jeph

jeph TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I live in Glasgow and it is real cool to see shots of things that I see every day. The bridge shot #2 is really cool. To me that bridge is not near as beautiful in real life. Great job.

10. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Aha! So I wasn't losing my mind. Well, not this time anyway. :)

11. Resin42

Resin42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do indeed, it is all these things and more :D

#4 is the tower at the Glasgow Science Centre, it's the tall structure you can see towards the middle of #7. As I said as much as I like the shot it doesn't really compare to this shot I took and posted a few weeks back...

[​IMG]

Different light (6 a.m.) and some good cloud cover.

Of course it does, you just have to crouch a bit and hold up an empty picture frame. ;-)

Good to hear from you again Jeph, I remember you from your other post :lol:. When you gonna put some pictures up of your adopted home?

12. jeph

jeph TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Meh, I guess sometime. I really am not a big internet poster. Mainly an internet lurker but I suppose that I could find something to post up if I could be bothered to figure out how. Did you go to the Tattoo in george square yesterday? I did, but I didn't really come away with anything that I would post on the internet. Tonight at 5:30 in George square is British Super Bikes. I don't really know what they are doing but I will try and get something good.