Evening Protest photography

Pedro_lopez

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend asked me to come to a protest today and it starts around the evening where I'm at. Most likely it'll end up dark faster then I know it. My set up for photography is my Nikon d3300 with 18-55 kit lens and a 50 1.4g. No flash other then the camera pop up flash. How would you suggest getting some shots without motion blur from low shutter and low noise from high ISO?

If I do use my pop up flash I was thinking that i can lower the power so it doesn't hit my subjects to harsh and also not totally blow out the surrounding giving off that flash look.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

That would help but unlike a pop-up flash most hot shoe mounted flash units allow you to change how broad the beam of light is, or isn't.

Even better than having the flash unit in line with the lens long axis id off camera flash.
With a fast changing scene many hold a off camera hot shoe flash unit in their hand so they can quickly changes the height and angle of the beam relative to the long axis of the lens.

My inexpensive Yongnuo YN-560 II can be zoomed from 24 mm (wide angle) to 105 mm (a much narrower beam.)
Also handy is the built-in bounce card and built-in diffuser.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
How well does your flash work. I was able to pull of the event with okay pictures but they aren't all up to my standard. Definitely looking to invest in a flash since I've been getting a lot of opportunities in night time settings.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

How well any camera gear works depends on your understanding of how it works and how best to use it within it's limitations.

The Yongnuo flash unit (actually I have 3 of them) I have is all manual, which is why it costs way less than a Nikon flash unit.
Comparable Nikon flash units have way more bells and whistles (automated functions).
Because of all the bells and whistles Nikon flash units have there is a much steeper and longer learning curve if you want to use all the balls & whistles.

All the bells and whistles also make it harder to get consistent results because they function according to a program some Nikon flash unit engineer wrote.

you can pick up a yongnuo 568EX speedlight for around $100.
i have a few of them and they have always worked great for me.
they support TTL and HSS.
i think they are a pretty good deal for a made-in-china budget flash.

for a little less you can get something like a Neewer 750II, which supports TTL but not HSS.
I have had two of them and they have worked fine as well.

even a cheap manual speedlight will get you better results than the popup flash because of the control it gives you over the intensity and direction of the light.

Strobist.blogspot

Thats where you can find experiments, practice samples and things to think about.

Its not that hard, just buy some flashes. I forget what strobist recommendl, not yongnuo. There are tons of brands, OEM being a super premium rich option.

I like the ones I own there in the signature. On camera controller is amazing and its cheap too.

As far as add ons for cameras go, light and light modifiers are by far the most useful economically sound investments.

Most reactions

Back