Event Photography

Discussion in 'The Aspiring Professionals Forum' started by lizzard427, Jul 7, 2017.

1. lizzard427

lizzard427 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I did do a swim event on Saturday the 8th, for just practice and there were loads of people taking photos (and no one told me I can't). I have a cousin on said swim team.

2. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

There are certain things that you don't want to ignore, one of those being the IRS.

I don't know who told you that, or in what context, but the fact is; if you earn any money at all you will be liable for income tax. Such is not all bad, however, because when you file your tax return, you can deduct legitimate business expenses from your income.

Same for state income, if your state taxes income.

It's fairly easy to get set up, and the advantage is that you will not be in violation of federal tax law.

Just call your local authorities (local for business license) (state for a tax I.D. number) and the people who answer the phone there will walk you through the whole process.

Now, if you want additional advice; I would say stay in control of your photographs, and don't simply hand over a flash drive of your files. The reason is that you should be paid fairly for what you have produced, and the usage should be spelled out in your contract. Any shortcut to this will probably mean you are shortchanging yourself.