Ever been harrassed whilst photographing?

The only time I got harassed was by some guy because, he and his girlfriend were skinny dipping at one of my favorite waterfall areas. He started threatening me till he saw my sidearm and, shut his piehole after that. He was trying to tell me I couldnt shoot there at all but, it is on National Forest so, I told him the opposite and, even if I wanted to shoot he and, his gf there wasnt much he could do about it. He was drunk naturally.

I was detained at Hartsfield International Airport (ATL) last week by Atlanta PD. A security guard instigated the first confrontation, after which I then asked to speak with a badged law enforcement officer. She walked away, about 100 yards, so I began to take a few pictures of her since I didn't catch her name, in case something were to happen to me or my camera.

Twenty minutes passed, and I had gotten all the pictures that I wanted, so I began walking to my car to leave. As I was exiting the parking deck an LEO stopped me with the security guard, asked me to get out of my car and for my license, and then put me in handcuffs. For the next two hours I sat in the police precinct inside the airport and was interviewed by the FBI, Homeland Security, Atlanta PD, and Airport Operations. Apparently, I needed a permit from Airport Operations/Homeland Security to take photographs.

Luckily, I had "The Photographers Rights" on me and was released without any charges. LINK

A full police report will be available within five business days and I plan to contact the Atlanta Journal Constitution to see if they are interested in a story.

I was very polite and cooperative. The arresting officer actually happened to be an avid photographer and I gave him a link to the site... We'll see if he joins.

Airports are considered national security, even if you have the right to photograph them, so I'm not too surprised by your story. Also don't forget that we are at war, even if Iraq is a long way from here, and during times of war the government and authorities tend to look at things a bit differently.

I was detained at Hartsfield International Airport (ATL) last week by Atlanta PD. A security guard instigated the first confrontation, after which I then asked to speak with a badged law enforcement officer. She walked away, about 100 yards, so I began to take a few pictures of her since I didn't catch her name, in case something were to happen to me or my camera.

Twenty minutes passed, and I had gotten all the pictures that I wanted, so I began walking to my car to leave. As I was exiting the parking deck an LEO stopped me with the security guard, asked me to get out of my car and for my license, and then put me in handcuffs. For the next two hours I sat in the police precinct inside the airport and was interviewed by the FBI, Homeland Security, Atlanta PD, and Airport Operations. Apparently, I needed a permit from Airport Operations/Homeland Security to take photographs.

Luckily, I had "The Photographers Rights" on me and was released without any charges. LINK

A full police report will be available within five business days and I plan to contact the Atlanta Journal Constitution to see if they are interested in a story.

I was very polite and cooperative. The arresting officer actually happened to be an avid photographer and I gave him a link to the site... We'll see if he joins.

Airports are considered national security, even if you have the right to photograph them, so I'm not too surprised by your story. Also don't forget that we are at war, even if Iraq is a long way from here, and during times of war the government and authorities tend to look at things a bit differently.

Duh. The US has been at war with someone since the beginning of WWII. Hell, a substantial portion of the US economy is based on making war with other nations. Lockheed and Boeing wouldn't have some of their biggest contracts without it. (Actually, Lockheed would be out of business without the US constantly making war on someone.) *sighs* This thread isn't about that though.

I too, think this thread is worthless without pics. :lol:

Well I now have a tale to share - and probably it won't be my last.
It's a tale of violence, rage, blood and more!!

It only happened last week as I was in the garden in the holiday cottage, my macro lens on my camera, as I crawled around in the bushes and such seeking flowers (I had given up on bugs because the location always got so much wind - even flowers were a pain). So there I was minding my own busness and sticking my camera and lens at any and all angles, not paying any attention as to what was further infront of me - and my lens.

Well I paid for that mistake as a local had a clear dislike of my photographing them whilst they bathed in the sun -- she was rather angry about the whole affair! Myself I wasn't even given a chance to defend myself, to show that it was only the flowers I was taking photos off, no I was attacked right there and then with no remorse! Of course not being built of muscle nor being a fan of pain I promptly started to run, but it was too late and she got me with a single well placed strike -- there was blood :(

Eventually though I managed to escape indoors and lock the door - fearfull that other locals would come rushing to the scene to defend her honour form the horrid leering photographer - thankfully things died down and nothing more came of it -- but it was a scary time going back into the garden...

Oh and -- I might have lied --- I did get one snap of her!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2661/3764414417_a297a5325a_o.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Awesome pic, though. Sometimes you gotta take those risks, right? :lol:

Shooting in india was a dream... Nobody bothers you, some might give the "what is this weirdo up to?" look, but most are friendly and will blast huge smiles at you. Infact, I had some couples approach me to take their snaps. :D
UAE has much stricter regulations. While point and shoot cameras are acceptable, ppl using slr cameras have a tough time.. Cameras are banned at most beaches, mall security will confront you the moment you lift your camera and if you dare point the lenses at a local, well... good luck... Personally, I havent been harrassed till now.. it has been only a few months and I always travel along with female friends(lesser chance of being looked upon as a perv)

Battou said:
I got a security guards spotlight right in the face wile doing some night shots because the security guard thought that very same thing.

I wish our company would shell out for a $150 night vision scope for the post, but I do have my own, and a good set of binoculars too. IMO, it's better if you don't know I'm watching until I'm sure of what you're doing. After all, if that guard had been right, what would have stopped you from shooting his spotlight and/or him? If I were the guard, I'd prefer that your first indication that your assassination attempt was compromised be when you wake up with a bad headache and a couple of cops sitting on you.

Well, I could not see after I was hit with the spot light after having been out in the dark for several hours, the only reason I was able to hit him with my light is my having been aware of his position in the shadow of the building. Had I not known of his pressence I would have been standing there looking around for him once I could see again, he would have had a good couple of minuets to get to me and restrain me.

Now under the same circumstances, had he been right, nothing I suppose, but I doubt there would have been any accuracy shooting blindly.

And for Mr. Battou, you could explain that the policeman was coming by to make sure everything was okay. They do that on children shows all the time, so they'd probably buy it.

Actually, I tried that, they didn't buy it. They are older children (8 and 10 at the time) they where standing right there when the officer came to talk to me and heard the entire conversation. They wanted to know why some one would call the police on me for taking them to a crowded park. Sound theroy yes, but sadly there does come a point where it does not work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back