Ever been published?

LBPhotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
(Note to mods: Couldn't find a perfect forum for this thread, feel free to move if you feel it necessary)

Have any of you ever been lucky enough to be published in a National Publication? I just found out that I will be getting my second publication over the summer. I am posting the two images that I have had published and would like to see others works that have gotten the same type of recognition.

guile.jpg

Published August 2008 in Action Pursuit Games Magazine
(My buddy in a guile suit that took him over 200 hours to make, just to play paintball ... *lol*)

cameroon1.jpg

TO BE PUBLISHED in either June or July's edition of Bird Talk Magazine
(Baby Cameroon African Grey Parrot)

Ok, so let's see your published works ... this is definitely something that is brag worthy!

Got this image in a local newspaper last November:

img1726editeditedit.jpg

It's not national, but its the first and only thing I have published.

The first time one get's published you never forget it ...

The first local publication I ever got was for one of the local larger regional newspapers (in the sports section) there my work was right there on the front page of sports, ABOVE THE FOLD!! *LOL*

C'mon there has to be more of you guys out there ... I want to see them, I want to hear your stories, brag a little!!

At 16 I did a group shot of school trustees for a local paper and later that year I had a shot published in a geography text book.

skieur

Don't put too much importance on "getting published."

Sure... It's nice to have the affirmation that your work is good enough for publication. Of course, a lot depends on the publication and thier standards.

The vast majority of my work is "published" in one way or another... newspapers, trade mags, annual reports, product spec sheets, ads, textbook covers and so on.

But, nothing I've done ever appeared in National Geographic or Time.

A lot of truly amazing photographers never get published. And, a lot of crap does.

I don't mean to diminish your achievements, and certainly don't want to rain on anyone's parade. Just don't put too much importance on getting published. Getting paid is much more important. Creating a real piece of art is perhaps more important yet.

What's the old joke? Photographic success is directly related to content... falling airplanes and certain presidential motorcades work best.

-Pete

Why not Pete? Just wondering here ... if I get my name out there, or my Business name out there, isn't that just another form of recognition, another avenue to bring clients from?

I agree with you that a lot of crap does get published, there are things that I have seen in publications that probably wouldn't have made it past the "trash can" on my computer. The issue here is that photography always has been, and probably always will be, subjective.

But, I will say this - if you can tell your clients that you've been published in National Publication of some sorts it brings just that one more "edge" that you may have versus another photographer that they may be looking at. Now, granted, I am not shooting on a very large scale (yet) and when you get to a larger level, I am sure that there are many, many more people who are published that you are competing against. Right now, I'm not ...

This was just a thread where people could come in and brag for a minute or two; but, thanks for your thoughts.

Why not Pete? Just wondering here ... if I get my name out there, or my Business name out there, isn't that just another form of recognition...?

Absolutely. This did come to mind when I wrote my post. My concern is we mustn't think that we "have arrived" simply because one of our images was mass printed.

But, yes.... it's great exposure, even in a small local paper.

You see what I mean though? I want young photographers to stay grounded when they have a photo in print. It's affirming. Just keep things in proper perspective.

-Pete

I think photographic success is directly related to content.

20 years ago I was getting things in the paper about 2-3 times a week for about 6 months. Mostly college sports. But then I went a different direction. Eh, who knows what would have happened. It did not pay that well at all. Made more money taking pics on the side of the athletes playing, for their families (way more).

I was heading to lunch when I saw all the helicopters above really close to my work, and as I never go anywhere with out my camera I went to see what was going on. This was an accident that happened here in Seattle. The guy they are carrying was inside of building that has the dust for cement and was cleaning it with a tractor and when he hit the wall it collapsed. there was so much concrete out side, like 3 feet all over the whole area was covered in concrete dust. This picture actually made it on King5

3257544449_45ace29e69_b.jpg

The first photo contest I ever entered. None of mine were picked for the local juried show, but all three entries ended up in a little Blurb book they published.

Maybe not what you were thinking when asking 'published', but I thought it was rather nice.

The local telephone company had a photo contest last year and it's kind of neat to know that my picture is on every phone book in S. Idaho - every home, hospital, business, gas station, and hotel - over 100,000 copies printed... (As a joke, I gave them out as Christmas presents to family) :lol: Plus, I got a check for $250!

and ..........

I just sold 1 picture to a new hospital for them to use in brochures, billboards and publications.... - nice $check$ on that one also...

I'm not that good ..... just realllllllly lucky !!

As far as whether or not it is more important to make money or have the pride of one's work published, regardless of where it is published:

"You can spend the money only one time...the pride follows you around everyday."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back