Ever dropped your camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Trenton Romulox, May 25, 2007.

1. Trenton Romulox

Trenton Romulox TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I dropped my D80, knocked it off my desk actually a few weeks back.

Guess what happened?
    It landed on a plastic bottle I hadn't taken care of, and bounced just enough to not take a huge crash when it hit the floor. I got so scared...I saved up for over a year for that thing!

Any of you ever dropped a camera more than three feet to a hard surface?

Scary, scary stuff.

2. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've had it run into many doors around my neck. and I almost dropped it once carrying a camera case, a tripod, a bag of fast food and the camera from my car to my house. A 1 CM area of contact patch on the strap was pinched inbetween my pinky finger and ring.
    I felt it slipping in that hopeless way ("ok I have it, but it is SOOO falling") so I slowly crouched down to the sidewalk and when it was about an inch off the ground the grip I had on it gave way. I had the quick release tripod head thingy on the bottom so that took the plastic-on-concrete scratches.

Scary to think if I just tried to "wing it" towards my front door it would've fallen 4 feet-ish (I'm 5 foot 10 so wherever you hand would be if you have a tripod under that arm).

(I know I shouldn't carry it between 2 fingers but holding it up out of the hatchback it was in better grip, when I slammed the hatch closed that's when it slid to the 1cm finger pinched thing)

3. Garrentee

Garrentee TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Funny you posted that...

I was just on vacation in Nova scotia and did most of our traveling in our car...have a lowepro bakpack style camera bag with a side pocket and when driving and taking pics(in and out of the car) I throw it in the bag w/o closing it...was dark and shuffling into the hotel i grabbed the bag and my canon xt went flying out of the bag and hit the concrete with a huge bang...the lens hood took most of the blow but the polarizer came flying off and got dented...It scared the living CRAP out of me!! Luckily it was ok just a few scratches and a dented filter...wheeew!!

Thats my story

4. Trenton Romulox

Trenton Romulox TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good story! Suspenseful!

I know that "Oh $#%%!" feeling all too well. Good ol' rugged D80.

5. JahLynJie

JahLynJie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've come close.
    Right after I got my camera last year I was at a country music concert taking photos. For one reason or another, I figured I didn't need to put the camera around my neck- opting to ignore the fact that it has a shoulder strap.....
    ... yeah you can see where this is going.
    Someone bumped me from behind and that was enough to knock it from my hands. I bearly managed to catch it before it hit the concrete.
    Scared the living crap out of me.

Needless to say... I've become a die hard shoulder strap user.
    I think my boyfriend finds it a bit annoying that I tell him to put the strap around his neck every time he picks up my camera.

6. firemedic0135

firemedic0135 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah brand new 30D and canon 70-200mm 2.8 L lens took a tumble of the end table next to my chair the other day and I bout had a stroke,then I threw up a little then Im pretty sure I peed myself,....But I didnt:mrgreen: .Every thing is ok now and I have started eating again.

7. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I ALWAYS use the strap, but one time I picked it up for a really quick snap shot, and mentally I was so used to wearing the strap, I almost literally just let go of the camera after the shot. Luckily, I did the whole quick letgo-and-grab thing.

8. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Firemedic that's the reason we bought the cameras we did, am I right? The 30D and my D200 have alloy bodies, not ABS plastic. I haven't dropped mine, but I've slipped off the side off a cliff. When the rope jarred the camera and I crashed sidways into the cliff. Few minor scratches on the grip but nothing serious.

Our Nikon FE on the other hand was dropped from the second floor of a building once. The lens and mirror cracked, and the film compartment came open. Other than that it survived, and for less then $100 for new mirror and a checkup, and $100 for a second hand 50mm f/1.8 we're back in business :) I guarantee a 400D or D40/D80 would not survive something like this. They just don't build them like they used to.

9. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    since i am an expedition-style hiker from time to time, my cameras have taken serious abuse. The worst thing to happen though was a broken shutter and humidity inside a lens (which dried away, but could not use it on that very day anymore)

10. highwoodhiker

highwoodhiker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I dropped mine while trying to affix it to my broken tripod head. While coming home from work and noticing a full moon between two downtown office towers and knowing a good location to get a good shot, I was trying to get it set up to use after work the next day. (I had another tripod on order and it hadn't arrived yet) The camera fell to the carpeted concrete floor and upon testing it showed a zoom error and wouldn't take a photo. It was a $500 camera a year earlier and luckily the replacement I went out and bought the next morning was down to $400. The sky was completely overcast that night and I was on a different shift the next day so I never did get my moon shot. Maybe some other year.
    It cost $165 to get the lense fixed. And I do not handle the camera anymore without the strap around my wrist, a lesson I will surely keep in mind when I get a Dslr which would not be so easily replaced the next morning with no thought of the cost.

11. AUZambo

AUZambo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I dropped my 35mm Rebel about 2 weeks after I got it (which was about 10 years ago). It landed on some concrete from about 3 feet up breaking the battery door. For the next 9 years I used duct tape to hold the batteries in.

The camera's functionality was not affected.

12. RVsForFun

RVsForFun TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ...put his D80 on a tripod, and the tripod was on a decline and he didn't point of the tripod legs downhill. The tripod, his D80 and a rented HUGE 70-200VR lens hit the soft earth camera first with the camera taking the shock. The metal lens mount was screwed to the plastic body and the metal ring/mount popped off and remained on the lens while the camera was a foot away. I felt so bad for my friend, his deductible was so high to afford the insurance it wasn't worth making a claim. And if he did make a claim, the deductible would go up by 5x. I wonder what he did...