Ever dropped your camera?

I had a friend who dropped a russian Zenith XP on the ground... and left a dent in the footpath :lol:, poor sidewalk! The camera was fine.

So far, no. But the old guy at the camera repair place here in Cleveland (just down the street from Charlie's Restaurant, a converted Dog House, complete with frankfurter roof) tells the story of when he was in the Navy in Alaska above the Arctic circle in the 1950s, he dropped his Speed Graphic out of a helicopter about 50 feet up above the snow. Retrieved it and took it to the Navy repair guy who couldn't find a thing wrong with it anywhere and refused to believe it had fallen at all.

i havnt been following this thread, but i feel compelled to have an input, i was out the other night just taking some shots and i saw this hot rod so i stopped and was just walking around the ca when i just had to step down from the curb, nothing major, when my legs cramps up and i drop my camera, and then it decides not to work, so im freaking, go home change the batteries and it seems all is well. so of course now i feel better

I've dropped a couple of point-and-shoots in water - one in Mexico into the pool, and one into a jacuzzi. Neither were particularly meaningful losses, financially or emotionally.

Scariest moment was when I had my Leica M8 and a very nice lens (Summilux 35mm f/1.4) in my car. I was going to turn it off after shooting at favorite spot - I had just gotten in the car and was headed home. Then my blood chilled, I slowed down gently, and retrieved the camera from the roof where I had put it while digging out my car keys.

Phew. One more block and I would have either sped up and never see it go off th back of the car, or hit a nice stop light and see it sail down the windshield onto the hood...

I have dropped my D50 twince. once from 4 feet from a cabinet to a carpeted (yeah ok they call that crap carpet) raised datacenter floor. No damge.

Second time was on ethe same night beileive it or not. This time from my open backpack at my shoulder level (I am 6'4" to the concrete of a parking garage........

small nick in the lens plastic of the kit lens that happned to be mounted, and I had to unbend the hotshoe guildes from where the impact had bent them down so my sb600 could not slide through the guides when I attached it.

other than that, no damage I have noticed and I have never even come semi close to dropping it again.

All the time. I'm a study in grace. That is why I got the 4-year 'even if you run it over in your car we will fix or replace it' plan.

Oh, and I leave it it my car all the stinkin' time. I live in New England. It is either freezing cold in your car or hot enough to kill you. I'm sure that isn't good for the camera either... ;)

Yeah, i've dropped my F-1 a few times, including one right onto my naked left foot.
Still as good as new!!

Most reactions

Back