Ever have one of those days....

slickhare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
where you just can't seem to find anything to photograph. and anything you do photograph seems terrible? i can't stand the feeling. what do you usually do when this happens? i'm thinking about taking a walk through town just to see what happens.

That sounds like a good idea. Who knows what may pop up. I also find that setting limits helps my creativity, as odd as that sounds. Tell yourself that you are only going to shoot using a wide aperture for a shallow DOF and look for things that work with that, or maybe scenes with a slow shutter to show movement, or ... whatever.

I have that feeling often. I suck at urban type photography and living in southern California I am lacking for natural scenes with color. True we have all the desert you could possibly want but too bad it all turns out drab. =p Thats why I am trying to start doing more B&W. So I completely understand how you feel.

Torus34 said:
There's more to life than photography.

what is this life you speak of, where can i get some, and can i bring my camera?

:mrgreen: j/k

Concerning my personal work I just put the camera down. I suggest mountain biking or any other strenuous outdoor activity. Visiting art galleries or going to a movie works as well.

96% of the time I am inspired by commercial/editorial work. The other 4% can be remedied by playing loud music on the way to the shoot.

i always go out anyways, usually being bored of what ideas you do have, means you aren't going to be looking for that when you're out and about, it's times like that when i start thinking creatively when i'm going about my business

and by creative i mean "different from the usual shtick"

either that or i watch tv and drink coffee

I find having a mission helps. Like what Markc said, or looking for somewhere interesting on the map and driving out there. Often the pics taken on the way or back are better, it puts you in a creative frame of mind. I rarely get results if I just aimlessly wonder around.

Mohain said:
I rarely get results if I just aimlessly wonder around.

hey now, aimlessly wandering around isn't THAT bad

in fact, it's underrated! i aimlessly wander around all the time! especially when i don't have a camera

always interesting when you end up on train tracks in the middle of a city and think "where the hell am i?" :)

You must get out! Go get some excersise! Go hiking or biking or shopping or dancing! haha

I find the best pics I take are when i dont take anything for a week and then plunge right in fresh and inspired!

:lmao:

There is more to life then photography! Sometimes I have to choose if I"m going to live the moment or capture it!\

n---->:greenpbl:

Generally what I'll do is every few weeks or so just put the camera down for about 2 days and then I'll pick it up again and the results are generally not disappointing.
I have to say, though, looking at other peoples' work and seeing movies and stuff like that really helps getting the gears spinning.

Most reactions

Back