Ever just want to quit?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by eric-holmes, Jul 9, 2010.

1. eric-holmes

eric-holmes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    That's how I feel right now. My wireless triggers (Cactus V4's) suck, but I can't afford better ones. I can't decide rather to upgrade to a faster lens or CS5. And then I think of all this money I could save if I just quit. I mean, I have a job. Photography isn't my job. It never will be. It is simply a hobby. Just wondering if anyone else goes through this and how do you get through it?

2. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All the time.

3. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Funny you should say this.

I was working on a new editing program, and trying to decide if I should purchase CS5, while having some difficulties with the editing. As I was looking at the image I said to myself it would be nice to have the better lens, making it easier to edit. Then seeing my monitor is not proper for good editing and I went online to check the monitors- WHOAAAAA, then I was viewing tutorials, and by the end of the day I edited 5 images, realized I did not have the money to purchase all of the items I was contemplating.

Sooooooo, I will just fiddle on the forum, harass a few of you and get back at it tomorrow.

"The grass ain't any greener on the other side" ;)

I think a rum/coke and cigar would be better. :thumbup:

P.S.
    I have had my domains for 3 months and still have not finished working on that either....go figure. I need something to do before I die.

4. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Never. It sounds like you just don't enjoy the hobby as much as myself and many others. I have gotten frustrated many of times but that just pushed me to want to practice more to figure out a way around my problems. I wanted to shoot macros from day one but couldn't afford a true macro lens. I found a way around this by finding a cheaper alternative to learn by until I could afford the true thing. I practiced and became the best with what I had which made me that much better when I finally did upgrade. I've never wanted to quit...but have wanted to quit other hobbies (and have) to be able to better fund my photography.

5. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You are constantly on this path, be it lack of self confidence or simply struggling for inspiration or whatever, my advice would be to stop taking it so seriously, its not your "job", take a break, sell all the periferals apart from a camera & flash and take up another hobby so you have other interests, this may then lead you back to photography for fun. I get sick too and very rarely shoot for pleasure, I also decline jobs/clients if there's little or no challenge, the costs involved in being a pleasure shooter in this game are restrictive so having the added consequence of being depressed would have me waving goodbye to the hobby. H

6. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, Eric, I certainly know where you're coming from, and to know that does not mean that I don't like my hobby well enough. But to me there are some clear limitations which can frustrate me at times, there is no chance I'll get better glass, nor a better camera body maybe, and my telezoom is broken (one glass is loose inside, sometimes I'm lucky and I get photos sharp all over, at other times, one half gets blurry in a funny way) and there is no chance for a replacement, my Photoshop is the version 6.0 and will remain that for ever, my tripod got stolen and will remain gone... but after more than 35 years of taking photos, I also feel like it is no longer this very important. It is only my hobby, after all, a nice pasttime, nothing that needs to be done and that would need to bring home the bacon. I COULD do without (and still don't want to), and that makes me more relaxed.

7. Morpheuss

Morpheuss TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like all the responses I would definately buy a faster glass over photoshop unless you really love editing and designing stuff because I would prefer to use GIMP expecially since it is free and you can use the clone tool and crop and change alot of stuff that you would in photoshop. I also am not a big fan of editing alot on my photos so I would pick buying the faster glass anyday.

8. Moe

Moe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    We've all been there, bro. I posted something here a little over a year ago about how I felt my photography was actually getting worse. It wasn't; it was just that I was being more critical of my own work. With my photography, it hasn't been a steady increase in skills/knowledge. It's been more like periods of plateau and growth. I'm betting you're in a plateau phase right now. I would suggest maybe taking a workshop or class. It would be really tough to beat the combo of your D90 and the 50 1.8. And CS5 isn't going to make you enjoy photography any more, unless there's something specific that you really want to do with it. Looking very briefly at your website, it seems you do some portrait photography. Take a class in that. Be it in your area, or online. I've done some things online that have been pretty sweet. That's the most advice I can give you without knowing more. But, if I were you, I wouldn't invest any money in equipment right now.

Best of luck!

9. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I did way back when....

Then I said... screw it.. stop trying to be a "professional-like-photographer" and just shoot... enjoy.

Became a computer guy instead and Enjoyed photography ever since.....

Too much self pressure to produce results can turn a hobby into a hassle...

10. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Never, just keep spending i just bought these could be of interest to you not too expensive and work every time without fail Seculine TwinLink Flash Trigger

11. white

white TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :thumbup:

12. Vinny

Vinny TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Since this isn't your profession, you are taking this all too seriously.

For the hobbyist this is supposed to be fun! When it stops becoming fun there is a problem. You don't have deadlines, competition or have to worry where the next paycheck is going to come from. Any photograph you take and you like is a great photograph - for you - forget what other people say.

If you have to take it to higher level because that's in your nature and reach a plateau because of talent or funds, ALL hobbyists and professionals get to that point at some point in their life no mater what they are doing.

I'm just a hobbyist in photography and that's my $0.02.