Ever just want to quit?

If you want to photograph professionally you'll make less money, have to shoot the boring stuff in crappy locations for which you're hired, shoot it the way the client wants, and probably have to shoot everything as if it's some big emergency every time. You'll probably only be able to afford beat up old gear that's "good enough."

Making a buck in photography is a lot tougher than keeping a real job. The photo jobs and locations that pay the most are the most boring. Think you're going to have people hiring you as a travel photographer? Guess again.

It's exactly like golf or surfing. Golf is fun, and it's almost impossible to get people to pay you to do it. Only one guy in ten million makes lots of money in surfing, photography or acting. Everyone else who makes the money does it in something allied to the field, like making or selling product or the dream.

A person who studied stage lighting in college and worked in Hollywood discovered that almost no one makes it in the fun job of lighting. The people who make more money more regularly are those who become lighting salesmen.
Who makes more: an actor, or an agent who earns 10% from each of the 20 clients they represent?
If you want to make money in photography, it's probably not by doing photography.
You can become a super star photographer, but it's all in your self-promotion and luck. If you want it hard enough you can do it. In America you can do anything you can imagine, however if you want to make money and have fun making photos there are easier ways to live.

if you want to make money and have fun making photos there are easier ways to live.
I make good money and have fun making photos. I just don't make my money with my camera. ;)

If I had to do this to pay the bills, I don't think it would be fun anymore. Not for long, anyway.

That's not to say that some people can be quite successful at it - I just don't think it's in me. I'll keep working my day-job, making good money for not-much work on my part.

I see people stress out over work all the time, heart attacks even - and on the job. (I once worked with a guy that had 3 heart attacks at work...wtf...) If your work stresses you out that much, you need to find different work. When I get home from work, all I care about is my wife, my kids, and my beer, lol. I think I would hate to have a job that there was no escape from (working from home).

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back