Everyone thinks they can be a pro! (RANT)

C'mon chiller, you're dragging down the art, man.

Or, rather, whisking it away quietly down an old abandoned hall with wart-covered, bloody fingers to dismember it and eat its heart for supper.

*shiver*

C'mon chiller, you're dragging down the art, man.

Or, rather, whisking it away quietly down an old abandoned hall with wart-covered, bloody fingers to dismember it and eat its heart for supper.

*shiver*

Hearts are great dipped in chocolate.:lol:

I'm not a professional either, but i would like to make try making some extra $$ also. Sometimes I try not to read these type of threads because sometimes they have that tone that trys to downplay peoples' honest enthusiasm , (which kind of bugs me),to sell artwork or start a business or something. And that negativity may hinder people. especially new photographers who are fresh and enthusiastic and some of the "pros" are like "no, no,no" and shoot the people down before they can get anywhere. I see that a lot on here, were people are like "i'm not good enough" I know its just an internet forum, but the pros who say " no,no, no" still represent actual people who can be a hindereance to others.
Unfortunatly that is the direction this forum has taken over the last 2 or 3 years. At one point everyone helped everyone. Maybe it was because of the re-alignment of the different sections, splitting up the pros from the beginners. But with this new TPF, everyone seems to be bothered by others who are not as good. When we were under 1000 members, no matter how bad your photo was, somebody who had the experience to help, would. And those who were really good, us nogooders looked up to them. All of the photographers I looked up to have left cause of this. I can only name about 3 or 4 photographers I would turn to here for advice now. Newbies used to be welcomed by everyone, but now we have this division of experience. ouch.....biting my tongue here. :lol:

Very interesting thread.

I am in two minds of it. We've had this conversation a lot, and the general consensus is that a true "PROFESSIONAL" photographer is someone who makes their living solely or mostly through taking photographs. The style/type/quality of those photos is irrelevant to the fact that they are professionals.

Interestingly enough, I recently have moved on to the point where I am strictly using photography to make a living. I've been fortunate enough to pick up a few nice contracts, and they are enough to pay my bills. This brings up a whole new aspect of being a "professional", such as taxes, expenses, etc.

Anyway this thread seems to be less about what comprises a photographer and more about what makes up a true PHOTOGRAPHER. Is someone who picks up any ol' cheap camera and takes pictures REALLY a photographer?

Maybe.

The simple fact remains is: Equipment does not equal quality.

QUALITY = QUALITY. That's it. You're either taking quality photographs or your not.

Surprisingly enough, I don't know if I am or not. I like to think I am; I get praise more often than not, but that doesn't mean anything if the assumption that the general public's eye for quality photography has been diminished by the nature of digital photography.

The funny thing is, I've been less apt to show my work lately. I don't know why it is, I am not ashamed of it, but it's got something to do with only showing the best of the best. For example, in years past, when I did a Photoshoot I posted several, up to 20 sometimes, pictures on my flickr.

Now, I post one or two.

Not sure what all of that means other than becoming a better photographer is a process. Their are those people who visit this site who intend to grow, but are heavily criticised and maybe even to the point of discouragement, and that bothers me.

However, on the flip side of that, I was one of those "hacks" if you will; I sold my services before I knew what I was doing.

Ryan.

P.S. Oh, yeah, on the whole "Equipment doesnt make the photog" thing, I am usually jealous of other peoples light setups and backdrops. However I did do my first pro shoots with a Canon A610, so I'm torn on that too!

For SH*TS and GIGGLES Here's a photo taken with a 100 dollar A610:

361260722_27de4b26a9.jpg

P.S. Oh, yeah, on the whole "Equipment doesnt make the photog" thing, I am usually jealous of other peoples light setups and backdrops. However I did do my first pro shoots with a Canon A610, so I'm torn on that too!

For SH*TS and GIGGLES Here's a photo taken with a 100 dollar A610:

361260722_27de4b26a9.jpg

For SH*ts and giggles Here is a Photo taken with a Kodak Easy Share
100_0689.jpg

And here is one taken with a Yashica T3D
Ding_1.jpg

Don't be foold, As an Auto body tecnition, these are the shots I attended photography classes to take. Both are unprocessed full frame.

This is all completely silly. Anyone can become a pro in seconds. This is what I am doing. It works, I promise! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

1067_legko.be%20%282%29.jpg

The level of arrogance in some of these posts is astounding.

Jon

This is all completely silly. Anyone can become a pro in seconds. This is what I am doing. It works, I promise! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Cool..... As long as I dont have to wear that Mr Rogers sweater. :lmao:

WTF??????? THAT PILL IS A SHAM.... I TOOK IT AND STILL GOT PREGNANT!!

WTF??????? THAT PILL IS A SHAM.... I TOOK IT AND STILL GOT PREGNANT!!

Newbie! It was not a pill... but a suppository! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Edit: Drats, someone (Rufus), beat me to it... lmao!

I would be happy to entertain your opinions but my mind is pretty much made up that most people that think they can make a career as a photographer suck so much they should almost give it up as a hobby.

Sure. But while we're on the topic, may I also suggest douchebags not be allowed to voice their opinions?

If you can take photos as [SIZE=-1]means of livelihood [/SIZE]then you are a professional, doesn't matter the quality of photos you take. Seen these discussions several times, and I'm starting to get the feeling professional photographers have a complex. Do you see software programmers complaining that because computers have gotten so cheap that everyone thinks they are a programmer? Home grown programs have exploded. Lot of open source and lots of sharing of the craft.

Seriously get over yourselves. It's a free market. Not everyone wants or can afford a Porsche. Stop being so elitist.

Sure. But while we're on the topic, may I also suggest douchebags not be allowed to voice their opinions?

well said... informative, constructive, and interesting perspective...:confused:

because the op has an opinion different than yours does not qualify him to be a douchebag....

2.gif

Now dont y'all go getting this thread locked while Im out on delivery.​

Most reactions

Back