"Everyone with a camera calls themself a photographer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
I DO call myself a photographer. Not because i think i am better than the pro's locally. I AM NOT! but do take photographs and not snapshots. My website is a photography website because it shows photography. I plan on making cards. not because i feel i am a great photographer. But because i enjoy showing people my work and it is convenient.

I am 24 yo and have been taking photographs for over 5 years. And have worked hard for the knowledge i have now. I feel i have a lot to learn but am beyond the absolute basics.

I would in fact cringe at myself if i were to call myself a photographer.. in the same respect that i'd have to correct someone if they called me a photographer .. "nah it's just a hobby".

Sounds to me like you ARE a photographer, but a "hobbiest" photographer, rather than a pro - You do it because you enjoy it, and it's a fun way to kill time. Why does that make you any less of a photographer?

I understand the response from both parties here. The OP wants to learn, as should we all. The offended wedding photographer fears competition.

It happens all over. I tried the same thing here looking to hitch onto an established photographer who had a similar response. I blew it off, and never looked back. There is a good bit of competition in this area, and undercutting prices is a valid business tactic anywhere (remember when the gas stations used to do it...boy sure do miss those days).

To the OP; don't worry about it. For every a$$hat who sends you packing, there will be another photographer who will be willing to take you under his/her wing and teach you the trade.

Another thing you might want to look into is a college program if there is one near you. Part of the degree program I am in includes an internship. The school does a lot of the leg work to find photographers, studios, museums, and newspapers who are willing to take on the slave labor.

I use a camera, by definition I am a photographer.
If I owned a Stradivaris wouldn't automatically be called a violinist.

Sounds to me like you ARE a photographer, but a "hobbiest" photographer, rather than a pro - You do it because you enjoy it, and it's a fun way to kill time. Why does that make you any less of a photographer?

I guess the way i see it is that saying you're a Photographer makes the assumption at you do it professionally in some way or form.. I know what you're saying though, i guess it's just one of those things and in what context you use it in.

I like to mess around with cars and bikes but i'm not a mechanic.. same thing to me really.

i think there is an almost identical topic to this in the discussions section at the moment... i really dont know if its worth starting another one.

ah yes this one.... http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123865

In Luna's defence I did kinda poorly name the subject, Merging them might clear that up well enough....But I have not yet read this thread in it's entirety so I am not sure if this is spioraled into a different discussion or not.

^^^:lmao: Super typo is super

Being annoyed is being defensive. And people act defensive when scared. Unless there is a compelling reason to fear amateurs, then there's no reason to be annoyed.

Pending ones branch, interests and/or occupation in photography there are compelling reason for fear, but I am not going to get into all of that because the biggest of them has alredy been brought up. Your statement that amateurs are the object of fear is incorrect though, Amateure is merely the prefix attached to those who do not get paid for their work. The fear revolves around those who are unwilling to learn or learn in a proper manor. Like Jerry said, walking up to a recognized pro and asking to teach you is a risk to the pro for several reasons.

Contrary to popular belief the urge to learn and the will to learn are two different things. I can't tell you howmany times I have seen people ask to be tutored in a subject only to bail out when they realized exatcly what was involved....Major waste of time and effort. Apprenticeship is the final stage of any trade, One needs to learn beyond the basics before they even consider trying for an apprenticeship. If they are not going to go threw and get that far first they are cutting corners. On top of all that there are also the ones who think that because they are apprenticed under such and such will make them more recognizable and advance their own ajenda and really don't care about learning how such and such actually does things.

So...that said any pro in the position of being asked to mentor is naturally going to fear apprentices who are going to bail on them, cornercutters who can't be botherd to take the courses to know their camera and the cockey "I know what I am doing, how am I supposed to learn if you won't let me do it my way" kids.

So... how do you feel about this statement? I recently got an email back from a long-time photographer (I was asking to shadow them when they shoot weddings) and she gave me this long response about how people like me are why the industry is struggling and that nowadays, everyone with a camera calls themself a photographer. While this may be true to a certain extent, that doesn't make them (us, me) any less worthy. That statement just really bugs me. Everyone has to start somewhere.

It is true to an extent. With art, there's no way to standardize the industry. To know accounting, you become a CPA (that's what they call it in the US, at least). To be a doctor, you become an MD, to become a photographer, you buy a camera and do whatever you want...

But as far as the person who wrote that to you, she must have been PMSing or something, cause that was just rude. I would personally write her a BLISTERING e-mail back, and start ugly rumors about her. But that's just me. And the people who make the industry oversaturated are NOT people like you. You understand your limits and are trying to learn. The last time I checked these are admirable traits.

Seriously, I'd call her fat, old, and everything else I could think of in your e-mail back. Either that or totally make her feel bad (though she's probably a cold-hearted b-word). And if she doesn't own her own company, I would DEFINITELY report it to her supervisor and tell her that you will do everything in your power to make sure she gets no more business.

I like to mess around with cars and bikes but i'm not a mechanic.. same thing to me really.

I've heard the term "Hobby mechanic" used before as well.....

Before I go street shooting again, I want to make up a "Business card" to hand to people who talk to me, with my gallery address and email (Not my primary email!). I plan on putting "Hobbiest Photographer" on it, because that's what I believe I am. I'm not up to Amature status, but I'm still, by definition, a photographer! (Just not as good as most here!)

He's also doing D60 commercials. BTW.... the D300 is also in the commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPB2P51DApA
this is brilliant. if ashton can shoot a wedding, what's holding YOU back? :lol:

as for attitudes, go back and re-read Jerry's post. i did it the same way, and most people decline, but are people i've still learned from, in some way.

i remember the first one i tried. he said no politely, but said if i ever wanted to grab a beer or coffee and talk the talk, he was game.

personally, i have a snotty attitude. i don't think it's necessary always, but some people just don't have the urge to mentor or teach. i fully support anyone trying to get into photography, but don't have the patience to teach. then again, i usually get called an asshole at least twice in a day. ;)

this is brilliant. if ashton can shoot a wedding, what's holding YOU back? :lol:
Indeed! Wedding photogrtaphers of the world... your days of reigning are over 'cause Ashton and his D60 are in the house. lmao!

personally, i have a snotty attitude. i don't think it's necessary always, but some people just don't have the urge to mentor or teach. i fully support anyone trying to get into photography, but don't have the patience to teach. then again, i usually get called an asshole at least twice in a day. ;)

How about if you met a photographer with great attitude, a solid internediate knowledge base that came to you and said... I desire to bring my photography to the next level, and am willing to do jobs with you as a second shooter... for free? Now say that in a way that makes it sound like a win-win situation for both sides, but that THEY would be getting the better end of the deal.

Would you not at least take a second look at this person and consider their proposal seriously? I did this and it gained me a little meeting at a coffee shop that led to my place as a 2nd wedding shooter now and then.

If you have nothing to offer, don't even bother trying, all they will do is slam the door in your face. Have something to offer, package it up with a nice bow and give it to them... and smile inside, becuase you got one step closer to your goal, whatever that may be (more knowledge, real life experience, a nice addition to your portfolio, etc...).

Don't be bringing a knife to a gun fight... lol.

y'know what happens to people that carry a knife? they get shot. lol.

i'd definitely consider it, but even when shooting with friends (GOOD friends) i get frustrated. not because they ask what bokeh is or how to freeze action in the dark, but because i have to break my focus. my creativity starts slow, but once i get into it, there's no going back.

i usually work best by myself, and being as young n' dumb as i am, i definitely wouldn't want to be held responsible for causing someone else to make mistakes

i definitely wouldn't want to be held responsible for causing someone else to make mistakes

I understand you completely... but I really like taking responsability for my own mistakes, because they are the best teacher for me.

No one was born perfect, we all had to climb that hill one step at a time, but once you start getting close and can see the peak, man, it sure feels good!

Oh... and I never carry a knife... lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back