Everything edited?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I see all of your beautiful pics on here of everything and I always hear how you edited them. Do everyone edit ALL of the pictures they post on here? Are there any people who dont edit [aside from crop] any of their pictures? Do you keep the non-edited versions even after you edit them? If soId love to see some before and after pics. Thanks a bunch.

Mark

Since I shoot entirely in RAW, my pictures all need some work -- at least a little sharpening. When you shoot JPG in auto modes, alot of this is done by the camera before it goes to your computer.

Before:
CRW_7606_RJ-1.jpg

After:
CRW_7606_RJ.jpg

As you can see, nothing too drastic. I like to keep my edits to an absolute minimum. I just did a very slight sharpening and levels adjustment on this, nothing else.

As the other poster said, if you shoot in RAW, you will most likely need to do some sharpening.

I would suggest to always keep your original file intact and make a copy when editing. Just in case you go to far or make a mistake in an edit, then you still have the original to mess with.

I have to say, the little edit does make them look alot more menacing!

Mark

As you can see, nothing too drastic. I like to keep my edits to an absolute minimum. I just did a very slight sharpening and levels adjustment on this, nothing else.
I don't know if I would even call that "editing", more like "adjusting". Maybe they're the same thing though... I personally don't consider that to be editing though. If I process a picture from RAW and adjust the white balance, the result is not an edited image to me - it's just a processed RAW.

Does that make any sense?

I don't think I would even consider cropping 'editing'...

But hey, that's just me and I have no formal education in this so I could be wrong...

Going by my definitions I rarely edit, but everything gets processed/adjusted.

I don't know if I would even call that "editing", more like "adjusting". Maybe they're the same thing though... I personally don't consider that to be editing though. If I process a picture from RAW and adjust the white balance, the result is not an edited image to me - it's just a processed RAW.

Does that make any sense?

I don't think I would even consider cropping 'editing'...

But hey, that's just me and I have no formal education in this so I could be wrong...

Going by my definitions I rarely edit, but everything gets processed/adjusted.

I do see what you're saying, but where is the line then? In other words, at what point would "processing" become "editing"?

Regarding the above example, the only thing I did was to try to bring the shot to replicate the scene I saw and remember as exact as possible. The RAW image was too flat from what I saw...I wanted to make that cloud pop and the sky behind it as dark as it really looked. That's my end goal, to replicate the scene before me. I really don't like overprocessed images.

Nope dont edit all of my pics. Maybe a crop or two on some. Others some tonal adjustments and maybe some sharpening. To me less is more most of the time. Unless Im photochooping then it is with the idea of making art. As an example.
Original pic I shot with intention of manipulating.
43505439_6R2aj-L.jpg

The manipulation.
43501473_JT9s6-L.jpg

Because I don't generally have the liberty to set the white balance properly, most of my photos get a white balance adjustment, color correction & curves (all done through curves), sharpening and a bit of touching up (removing things like wayward bits of food or such -- kids you know). If they're portrait-like I sometimes do a bit of finish to give them a bit of extra punch. The following is a snapshot that had white balance, color correction (to handle the color cast from the pool), and a lab mode sharpening. I might have bumped the exposure initially by a 3rd of a stop in camera raw.

Before:
zoe_emma_pool_1_orig_4x6_sm.jpg

After:
zoe_emma_pool_1_4x6_sm.jpg

I do see what you're saying, but where is the line then? In other words, at what point would "processing" become "editing"?
I guess that could be different for each person. For me if I can do it in Lightroom it's "processing", if I have to go to Photoshop it's "editing". Is that fair? I might be over simplifying, but I think in this case that's better than getting too in depth with what is editing and what is not.

Because blah blah color correction & curves (all done through curves), blah blah I sometimes do a bit of finish blah blah The following is a snapshot that had blah, color correction (to handle the color cast from the pool), and a lab mode blah. I might have bumped the exposure initially by a 3rd of a stop in camera raw.

Is it just me because I have no picture editing software, that I have no idea what almost any of these things are?

If you ever decide to go down the photoshop road, you'll know what most of them are, but barring that, you should learn about white balance. I wish I could get it right in camera more often. That's the usual path of tools within photoshop I use to finish an image (I prefer 'finish' to 'edit' or 'process', btw). For 99% of images, it takes 30s to a few minutes.

Another digital photography beginner here.

What a well timed thread - I was just going through a batch of photos I took on a recent trip to California. I was playing with the Highlight and Shadow levels in simple old Picasa (Don't have Lightroom or Photoshop yet) and the improvements were amazing. It was as if a fog was lifted off my pictures.

Had me wondering am I shooting wrong? Does anyone shoot "perfect" pictures or does everyone edit/process. So far sounds like post processing is ubiquitous. That makes me feel better about tinkering with mine, though undoubtedly i have much to learn about camera technique as well.

Photo editing software is a must. Editing, even minor, is necessary for nearly all digital pictures. (this is JMO but it is a widely agreed opinion even if controvesial.)
Sharpening is a must, running a defog, correcting white balance, doing a simple curve level adjustment... make a huge difference. right now I don't have before/after pics but I'll see if i can dig some up tomorrow.

DSC_00452.jpg
DSC_0045j.jpg

Editing makes crappy pictures into somewhat-better-crappy pictures.

Well I know what editing does, and sometimes it can work wonders if you know what your doing about it. I keep hearing about this "curve level/balancing". What is that? Even if it does no good or there is no need, can someone throw a "curve level" out of balance for me then fix it or show the original where it was in tact so I can see the difference and get a feel about what this is? Thanks a bunch.

Mark

Most reactions

Back