Everything with this lens is fuzzy

stone_family3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm using a Nikon D3000. I'm having a problem with one of the lenses that I'm using. It fits my camera but its completely manual. What's wrong?

It says around the lens ring "Formula 5 Gold Crown MC 1:35 75-205mm" I've had it for awhile and it worked fine on some of my other cameras in the past. However with this camera all the pics are blurry, like this pic.

DSC_0004.jpg

This pic is taking with my AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6GII ED. I'm approximately the same distance away.

DSC_0008.jpg

If you have a D3000 you have to have the AF-S lenses or they wont focus. I find it interesting how those cameras keep getting recommended on here to new people looking for a camera. I have the same problem with my D40 but I have been doing manual for so long I don't mind so much. AF lenses won't work it must be AF-S. The DX lenses are AF-S.

Remember that when you see people on here recommending those cameras. One thing may help you is that when you look through the view finder there is a little green dot to the left when you look in there that lights up when you get it in focus. That will help you a bunch.

A little bit of googlling gave me the impression that this lens ("MC" or "Meter Coupled" specification) is a Minolta mount. A little more digging suggested that the distance between the mounting flange and the sensor is smaller on the Minolta than it is on Nikon F mount.

Mounting Minolta Lens on Nikon (Adapter) - Photo.net Nikon Forum

It also explains why you will only ever get manual operation of this lens on the Nikon body.

I suspect that the lens is permanently wide-open (f/3.5) too, which won't help your focussing issues. Also, I've found a second-hand one in the UK for £7.99. I think "more trouble than it's worth" is a good description.

Edit: B&H have one too! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800557772-USE/Other_Brand_75_205mm_f_3_5_Manual_Focus.html

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back