Everything with this lens is fuzzy

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by stone_family3, Jul 28, 2010.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm using a Nikon D3000. I'm having a problem with one of the lenses that I'm using. It fits my camera but its completely manual. What's wrong?

It says around the lens ring "Formula 5 Gold Crown MC 1:35 75-205mm" I've had it for awhile and it worked fine on some of my other cameras in the past. However with this camera all the pics are blurry, like this pic.

[​IMG]

This pic is taking with my AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6GII ED. I'm approximately the same distance away.

[​IMG]

2. Bryce

Bryce TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have a D3000 you have to have the AF-S lenses or they wont focus. I find it interesting how those cameras keep getting recommended on here to new people looking for a camera. I have the same problem with my D40 but I have been doing manual for so long I don't mind so much. AF lenses won't work it must be AF-S. The DX lenses are AF-S.

3. stone_family3

stone_family3 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Okay, Guess I'm screwed then.

4. Bryce

Bryce TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Remember that when you see people on here recommending those cameras. One thing may help you is that when you look through the view finder there is a little green dot to the left when you look in there that lights up when you get it in focus. That will help you a bunch.

5. MrBarney

MrBarney TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A little bit of googlling gave me the impression that this lens ("MC" or "Meter Coupled" specification) is a Minolta mount. A little more digging suggested that the distance between the mounting flange and the sensor is smaller on the Minolta than it is on Nikon F mount.

Mounting Minolta Lens on Nikon (Adapter) - Photo.net Nikon Forum

It also explains why you will only ever get manual operation of this lens on the Nikon body.

I suspect that the lens is permanently wide-open (f/3.5) too, which won't help your focussing issues. Also, I've found a second-hand one in the UK for £7.99. I think "more trouble than it's worth" is a good description.

Edit: B&H have one too! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800557772-USE/Other_Brand_75_205mm_f_3_5_Manual_Focus.html

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010