Evolving Portfolios

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Evolve or Perish.
How do you deal with the transition from one style to another as you evolve artistically?
How do you reconcile on your portfolio strong pieces from 4 years ago with current images?

4 years ago, I preferred classic rembrandt style lighting, now I favour the backlit images.

As it happens. I look at the results of every shoot to decide if there's an image I want to include in my portfolio. When I do add one, then I remove an existing one. There are a few that are several years old, but for the most part, it shows my newer work.

The problem comes when there's an image that significant because it is a "local celebrity" but it wasn't as technically good an image.
Or an image that shows the diversity of my work but it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Those go in the electronic portfolio (iPad). My print portfolio has 20 sleeves (well, 25 actually, but I use 5 for tear sheets) so it's got a finite limit and I try and keep a cohesive look and feel to it. I don't necessarily always put what I think is my best or favorite work in it, rather I include the work which I think has the greatest appeal to people who are willing to pay for my services.

the greatest appeal to people who are willing to pay for my services

There! That's the gist of it and the answer I need.
Thanks John.
time to take out the picture trimmer.

Be consistent and show what you sell. That's what I stick by when I curate images for my portfolio. So if my style has evolved so much, I would remove those old images that don't fit anymore. That's just me though. :)

Example of evolving styles.
DSC_9514-Edit.jpg

DSC_3774-Edit.jpg

same model.

2012 was a better year

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
ho ho ho! You're one to say.
I guess it's the same way you might think Bellbottoms and Bouffant hair is better.

Last edited:
Be consistent and show what you sell. That's what I stick by when I curate images for my portfolio. So if my style has evolved so much, I would remove those old images that don't fit anymore. That's just me though. :)
Doesn't getting rid of an old but hopelessly discordant image feel like throwing out a comfy old sweater?

Most reactions

Back