Examples for portrait on horseback?

KudzuQueen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This weekend I'll be taking pictures of a local model in a gown on horseback. I've found about three good example pictures to look at for pose and lighting ideas, but I'm having a hard time finding any others. Does anyone have any similar shots, or know of a gallery that might have similar shots? Thanks so much for any help!!

I don't have any photos but the people I have watched that do this for a living carry a small step ladder with them for the shots where the rider is on the horse. Otherwise you are looking up at them. Don't know if this helps or not but it made sense to me.

Maybe do a search under "horse photography." Has to be something out there.

I don't have any photos but the people I have watched that do this for a living carry a small step ladder with them for the shots where the rider is on the horse. Otherwise you are looking up at them. Don't know if this helps or not but it made sense to me.

Thanks, that is a big help! That makes a lot of sense, as taking photos from "underneath" is one of the least flattering angles possible - and this model, while beautiful, has a very strong jawline, which would only be exaggerated by such an angle. I will definitely remember to take a stepladder.

I did a senior portrait session last year for a gal who wanted to have her horse in the shots. Like mentioned before, I brought a little step ladder so I wouldn't have to take the shots too far from below when she was on the horse. I have a few examples of shots from that session on my website which is www.apriloharephotography.com Look under the seniors section.

Also I'm not sure if you HAVE to take all of the shots of her while she's on the horse, but I thought the nicer ones I did were when she was standing next to her horse and their faces were close together.

I also used a zoom lens in conjunction with the step ladder so that she and her horse could be farther away which helped the whole not looking up at her to get the shot thing.

Hope that helps...
-April

I have some 'riding' photos but if you need an example of horsey and people photos, check out my website (www.truebluephotography.com), click on 'links' then click on 'Client Lounge' then scroll down to look at the gallery named 'Jodi, Brandi, James and Leo'. It is a full session of a lady with her 3 horses - both on horse back and interacting with them. My website also had other horse related photos in the 'Best Friends' section. The step stool is a good idea only if you stay a pretty good distance from the horse with it. Good luck with your shoot.

Most reactions

Back