Examples of Bokeh

Sticks and leaves are part of the overall story and re-enforce the foreground subject matter......yes????

Thanks for putting my thoughts into clearer words than I was able to :)

Good discussion so far. Anyone want to comment on the effect on bokeh of tele-converters? In the hawk photo I used a 1.4 tele .

John....Your 'hawk' shot definitely does qualify. The added dimension of the OOF foreground reinforces the effect. The gradual softening is quite nicely accomplished.

I will however stand by my previous comment in the bulk of photos I see, that use the word 'Bokeh' to describe DOF results.

John....Your 'hawk' shot definitely does qualify. The added dimension of the OOF foreground reinforces the effect. The gradual softening is quite nicely accomplished.

I will however stand by my previous comment in the bulk of photos I see, that use the word 'Bokeh' to describe DOF results.

I agree Jon, and it's an issue that I myself fall into, the real reason I started this thread. I too am guilty of calling ALL OOF backgrounds and the patterns they project bokeh. I think most photographers that know the term, also fall into that same category. The term has become a catchphrase, a place to throw all OOF background patterns into. Sort of like we here in the states call all laminate counter tops Formica. We have had a good discussion so far, I think it's been educational for many, and a good excuse to post a few pix. :D

I like the "Formica" analogy.
People who come in to these various forums seem to pick up words and phrases early on, then toss them about. Trying, I guess, to make people think they are well versed in the subtleties of photography.

Part of the "human condition"?

156764764-L.jpg

163339158-M.jpg

I like your peacock shot Gary. The OOF tail feathers add much to the shot. Without them it would be just another bird head photo. Very nice.

so would this be bokeh or just OOF?

when i origionally posted this i got 3-4 comments about people really liking the bokeh

1-3.jpg

DOF isn't shallow enough. Either that or you need more subject-to-background distance. If there's enough distance, then you don't have to shoot super wide open in order to get bokeh in the background.

Here's an example:

photo1_1.jpg

That's a really nice shot. I don't know if the shallow depth-of-field, which results in a blurred background, is a prime example of Bokeh, but it's a good image.

This may be getting into the next round of definitions, but I also think of Bokeh as the rendering of light, high-lights, or reflections within the OOF area, none of which are prominent here...

Thoughts?

so would this be bokeh or just OOF?

when i origionally posted this i got 3-4 comments about people really liking the bokeh

1-3.jpg

Most reactions

Back