Exeter Cathedral

pinkmonkeylove

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there,

I took this recently in Exeter Cathedral, feedback please?

Guinevere

dscf02138ya.jpg

Hi Guinevere (where does your name come from, it does not precisely sound British to me) and welcome to ThePhotoForum! :D

Thanks for being brave enough to come forward with some of your work right away. Your photo shows that Exeter Cathedral looks very worthwhile going there for some photos, should the opportunity arise (it is famous, too!), for it seems to be grand. It would look even grander if you had used an even wider angle, so the entire window would be in your frame.

Maybe you have some photo taken from another point of view?
Like three steps back and one to the left?

If you have more photos of the Cathedral, do share! Please.

welcome here!
well architecture is a very hard topic to photograph (i think so). You have to capture obvious buildings which are around and people just pass those buildings everyday without noticing its existance.

This picture is ok. but not very "arty" for me. try to see things differently - not like everyone else. I see in this picture many interesting lines which can be used in a very smart way... if you can - go back there and take some more pictures because this place looks very interesting!

LaFoto said:
where does your name come from, it does not precisely sound British to me.
I'm not entirely sure where my name comes from but my mum loves story's of King Arthur and his wife was called Guinevere.

LaFoto said:
Maybe you have some photo taken from another point of view?
Like three steps back and one to the left?
I took about 150 pics that day so i will have a dig through and see what I can find. I will definatly upload the best shots from that day. Amazingly I didnt take many window shots,which looking back now, was incredibly stoopid of me... but I will be going back to get more!!

LaFoto said:
If you have more photos of the Cathedral, do share! Please.
Absolutley!!

mentos_007 said:
not very "arty" for me
Please tell me how you mean 'Arty' i'm new to this so advise would be great :D

mentos_007 said:
if you can - go back there and take some more pictures because this place looks very interesting!
Ooohhh I have PLENTY more where that came from!!

Guinevere

love the first shot...well exposed!

i'd bump the contrast in the last a hair.

i love architectural photography...well done!

artsy... for me it means something different than what might be noticed by everyone else... I do like the second one... siple but with nice wide angle... and ice symetry (sp)

Try having the light coming through the stained glass. I was in Exeter over the summer and got some great shots of the coloured glass illuminated by sunlight. I'll post one if I can find one (might not have any on my laptop - most are on my desk top back in the UK).

Keep it up.

hey pinkmonkey! welcome to TPF :D
i love the first shot... looks like a square crop to me.. is it? i'm on a small monitor just now and i cant figure out with the scroll
what i would do.. is crop out a bit on the right.. and straighten and contrast it a bit.. do you mind if i give it a go?
i love the architecture though!
thanks for sharing.. look forward to more!

Mansi said:
looks like a square crop to me.. is it?
Um.... whats a square crop? This is a 1024x768 image...if that helps?

Mansi said:
do you mind if i give it a go?
Sure, play away!

Thanks for everyone's comments, you've all been really nice and helpful and I feel really welcome here :lovey:

BTW my camera is a Fujifilm finepix A330. I'm very new to photography so these pics were taken on all the auto settings... I promise I'll learn tho!!

Guinevere

Megip said:
Try having the light coming through the stained glass.
I'm going back to the Cathedral in a few days as its only a short bus ride from home, and I will take some more window shots, I was silly not to do that in the first place but hey! i'm a newbie... :confused:

Guinevere

Most reactions

Back