EXIF?

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by Jacki, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Jacki

Jacki TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What is it? I'm curious, because everyone on this board seems to have it but me.

I tried googling it, but all I get are links to the add ons.

Anyone care to explain? :blushing:

Thanks!

2. pharmakon

pharmakon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It is basically extra text information that is saved wigh an image file. Typically people here refer to the EXIF as a way of seeing what settings (aperture, shutter speed, flash, etc..) were used when taking a picture. To see some EXIF information for yourself just right click any of your jpegs on your computer's hard drive, go to properties, then click the "summary" tab. You should be able to see the settings used when you took the shot.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's basically all the settings on the camera when a shot was taken. The info is embedded (hidden) in the file as it comes from the camera.

Here is an abbreviated version.
    Although, if someone asks about the EXIF data, they are probably only interested in the main settings like focal length, shutter speed, aperture & ISO.

4. Jacki

Jacki TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ah. that's kind of what I thought it was. Yeah, I get all that info just from right clicking on my images. If I really want the data from a picture on the internet, I just save it to my desktop, look at the properties, and then delete it.

I guess I don't need the EXIF plug in then. I think I might want it though.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Using an EXIF viewer is certainly a lot easier than downloading the image just to see.

Another plug-in I like is the Histogram viewer.

6. Jacki

Jacki TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, but when I searched for EXIF on this forum, I saw a thread for removing EXIF or something....why would you want to remove it? Does it cause privacy issues or something?

7. pharmakon

pharmakon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess some people don't want you to be able to see all that information. They might have a particular way of getting photos in their own style that they don't want anyone to copy (just a guess). I think on a forum such as this it's great to share that info for the sake of those wanting to learn (or on the other hand, those that know what they are doing can point out possible mistakes a newb made to help them improve by viewing exif), but then again I don't have a career at stake if someone in my town starts a new photography business.

8. Jacki

Jacki TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay. So, does it matter what one I get?

9. pharmakon

pharmakon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    not really, it depends on your browser. I use Opanda IExif with internet explorer, works well for me, you just right click any image on your screen and choose the view exif option, it also adds this option to your right click menu on images on your computer too.

10. opakoo

opakoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There are two main reasons why you would want to remove Exif. The first is to reduce the file size, and the second is that it's a possible privacy hazard.

If the camera includes a GPS receiver, then the Exif will include the coordinates of the location where the photo was taken. If, for example, you take the photo in your house and publish it on the Web, you may inadvertently expose your address and identity, when you prefer to stay anonymous.

Another problem lies with the thumbnail of the photo which is included in the Exif. This thumbnail is created automatically by the camera in order to allow you to preview your photos straight from the camera, without the need to resize the photo each time. (resizing is a costly operation in terms of time for the limited processing capability of the typical camera, and it also consumes more battery power). The trouble is that some image editors won't modify the thumbnail when the photo is altered. The infamous Cat Schwartz case shows why this can be a problem.

Some cameras will also include the unique serial number of the camera.

There are free tools to remove Exif such as BatchPurifier LITE and jStrip.

11. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You can find out more about Exchangeable image file format (Exif) (also known as Metadata) data here:

Exchangeable image file format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In addition to the Exif data many photographers also utilize the International Press Telecommunications Council (IPTC) fields to record such information as: captions, contact information, use license info, etc.

There are not only EXIF readers, there are also EXIF writers like www.photome.de

12. mwcfarms

mwcfarms No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I just have to say that Kuso Exif is awesome. No more saving to desktop and delete since it has a plug in built right in to see from your browser.