Expecting too much too soon?

I'm unhappy with most of the photos I take. I think it's normal. As for everyone having better photos, they arn't showing everything they are taking. For me, it's about 1 in 10 that I actually think are good, if that.

Thanks for the latest encouragement. I guess we all go out expecting to shoot the best but in reality only a small percentage of what we shoot makes the grade. I'm so glad this is digital...it would be costing me a fortune in processing otherwise.
Simon's comment about learning how to use the equipment is pertinent. Before my D50 (and now D80) I had a Minolta X300. Other than aperture priority you had to set everything yourself, but this was easy because there wasn't a lot that you had to do other than focus and make sure the shutter speed was fast enough to avoid camera shake on hand-held shots. Now I have so many things that I can control and I always seem to forget something. Things I've forgotten recently:
  • to switch back to autofocus - a whole bunch of shots wasted because they were slightly out of focus
  • to switch back to AP or SP from manual - another bunch overexposed
  • to switch back to 0EV compensation - a load more underexposed
  • to change the sensitivity - motion blur on my eclipse of moon shots because I should have shot at 800 or 1600 last night instead of 100 :grumpy:
But I'm still having fun, so who really cares?

Mike

Thanks for the latest encouragement. I guess we all go out expecting to shoot the best but in reality only a small percentage of what we shoot makes the grade. I'm so glad this is digital...it would be costing me a fortune in processing otherwise.
Simon's comment about learning how to use the equipment is pertinent. Before my D50 (and now D80) I had a Minolta X300. Other than aperture priority you had to set everything yourself, but this was easy because there wasn't a lot that you had to do other than focus and make sure the shutter speed was fast enough to avoid camera shake on hand-held shots. Now I have so many things that I can control and I always seem to forget something. Things I've forgotten recently:
  • to switch back to autofocus - a whole bunch of shots wasted because they were slightly out of focus
  • to switch back to AP or SP from manual - another bunch overexposed
  • to switch back to 0EV compensation - a load more underexposed
  • to change the sensitivity - motion blur on my eclipse of moon shots because I should have shot at 800 or 1600 last night instead of 100 :grumpy:
But I'm still having fun, so who really cares?

Mike

I think you are really doing well. And it is normal that personal progress is always slower than we would like it to be.

And as for the things you happen to forget from time to time... this happens to me still after shooting with the same type of camera for 15 years now ;) Especially the AF thing ;)

But as you said, these days it at least does not cost you money ;)

Most reactions

Back