Experience a must...

benpsut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
....no! Not the beginning of a help wanted ad. Although, I do need some help/advice. I have like, no budget. I was going to sell my XTi and my only 2 lenses but then thought, just invest into some lenses. I have the kit lens and a quantaray 55-200mm zoom. Which is ok, JUST ok. I do ok with photography as a freelancer/hobbyist. I want to go further and shoot more than i do. I don't go out and shoot because I'm in a rut. Some have said get a prime with a shorter focal length to get up and close and see creatively instead of standing miles (exagerration) away and not studying your subject. Go out and shoot whats in front of you not yards away. shoot from where you are and walk yards away and snap away from here to there. I believe that's sound advice. I've read that the Canon 1.8 50mm II prime is an excellent lens and a low price. Build sucks but puts out some nice shots. I know that you get what you pay for, but from looking at sample shots, it doesn't have that bad of glass. Anyone here have it or used it and can give any insight? Any help would be appreciated.

Ben

I guess if you search "Canon 1.8 50mm" or something you'll come up with a few hundred threads on the topic.

Can anyone with this lens post some sample pictures, I got my heart set on buying it tomorrow but want to be reassured (Im a nit picking shopper lol), then gotta wait for shipping (bah, you think since I work for UPS......) Thanks in advance!

Ben

I've never really bought lenses online or anything, and ritz camera doesn't have this lens, who should I buy off of, who have you guys had good experience with, thanks in advance!

Ben

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

B&H. Very reliable and very good customer service.

The 1.8 is a little soft wide open, but it gives you a very shallow DOF. Step it down to a "normal" aperture for shooting things like single subject portraiture and it's super sharp. It's cheap, but it's a prime so there's not a lot of glass in it which makes for a sharper lens. Definitely one of the best bargains in Canon's lineup.

Most reactions

Back