Experiment v. 1.1 Comments?

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Jeff/fotog, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Jeff/fotog

Jeff/fotog TPF Noob!

[​IMG]

This is an 8x10 B & W negative converted to digital; I am trying to get some feedback on how it looks from your end.

This isn't a 'Gee Whiz, Knock 'em dead' image, rather an attempt to see how it looks. I had posted some earlier images and the feedback was that the images were too big.

Thank you.

www.jefferyraymond.com

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, this one is nice and small and very pleasing to look at. I like the tones... did you add these later in photoshop or are these the tones you got from the scanned negative?

3. Marctwo

Marctwo TPF Noob!

I personally think an optimal size is:
    • width: upto 600px
    • Height: upto 400px
    So a regular landscape image would be 600 x 400, a regular portrait image would be 267 x 400 and a panoramic image may be something like 600 x 200.

That's the way I like to see/show them, anyway. ;)

4. Jeff/fotog

Jeff/fotog TPF Noob!

This was a Zone System development process; the whites on the fence and trim were beyond the ability of the film to hold detail; therefore development was reduced about
    -1.5...In PS, the negative had a decided blue-ish cast to it (due to the emulsion), so I modified the blue into a slight sepia cast. The print is huge (which has been my problem here) and doesn't work well in a small version in B & W; so part of the experiment is to try to make the image work in a smaller scale.

At 400dpi, this image is about 38Mb, and crashed PS.

There is so much more 'data' on an analogue neg than on a digital neg, it seems you have to be cutting down size and pixels to get a smaller and still 'punchy' image over to someone else's computer screen (assuming not everyone has DSL!)

Long answer to a kind question.

Appreciate your observation!

www.jefferyraymond.com