Experimenting in PS - what works?

Ajay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had a chance to photograph my current favorite subject. I thought I'd experiment a little with some different things in photoshop and trying to decide if there is anything I might try to recreate on other portraits or if it just looks weird. I'd appreciate any thoughts on what works and what doesn't. Thanks.

1 - Just some standard adjustments. Worked all of the others from this version.
feb21_9web.jpg

2- Working on making the colors pop and slight adjustments in curves.
feb21_9ppweb.jpg

3- Experimenting primarily with channel mixing.
feb21_9cmweb.jpg

4- Experimenting with selective color.
feb21_9selectivecolorweb-2.jpg

5- Finally a black and white with some curves adjustments.
feb21_9bwweb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

This pic is not really good for the fancy PS stuff, mainly because it is lacking middle tones and saturation.

Attempt at fancy manipulations just emphasizes this.

histox1.jpg

This pic is not really good for the fancy PS stuff, mainly because it is lacking middle tones and saturation.

How would I go about adjusting the midtones so that the histo is more even? Is that something I have to do in the raw adjustments? Or does the SOOC image have to already be even?

It's possible to do some adjustments using the curves tool, but look at the picture. It has the darks of the sweater and the light tones of the face and hat and background.

The content just seems not suited to it.

I feel like I'm coming across as an airhead..but I'm still a little confused I guess. Would you mind showing me an image that would work for this kind of pp? Does the original of this photo still work or does it miss because of the lack of middle tones? I really want to understand so I can learn which shots are right and which aren't.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back