Experimenting with a gel filter from a lighting kit...

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by meg27, Oct 11, 2005.

1. meg27

meg27 TPF Noob!

Ok first try at uploading images... hope it works!!
    I have a question regarding these two photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was doing a photo shoot for some friends who are in a band called Exit to Eden (they're amazing!!). It was my first go and at this kind of thing, so i was very nervous... but it went great and the results were really good. In particular a couple of photos i took through the daylight blue gel filter i had put on the lights i was using.
    I would love to know how to achieve this effect again without the gel filter, its so beautiful and moody! The blue grey in the background was actually a white screen!! I've been reading up on lens filters, but i couldn't really find anything that would have such a dramatic effect! Any ideas?

2. meg27

meg27 TPF Noob!

sorry this is a bump, would love some comments!

3. JonK

JonK I want MORE!!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmmmmm....think I'd like to see some emotion in her face...a little too blank. she's very attractive but ...there's no feeling in these. No offense to you or her. :)

as for the technical bit...I find the first one better exposed overall and I like the compositon better as well; that said I do find tha compo a little static; the BW is blown bad in the highlights (mebbe yer goin for that?) and I find the BG distracting....eeeks I'm not usually so harsh! Hope you can take it.

as for the filters...I've never really used them so I don't feel qualified to comment in that regard. I spose you could go to town with PS and get any kind of filter colour effect your heart desires.

For a first attempt all in all I think you did well...just need to experiment a bit more with your composition and models poses.
    Man... I did ramble...hope its cool. :D

4. meg27

meg27 TPF Noob!

Thanks, i can take it!!
    I suppose I have been thinking about the effect achieved more than the model and comp! They knew what they wanted, just some shots to send to a record lable, they wanted to look moody and classy!! I took some great ones on a windy beach of them, but they didn't use them!!!

I'm really just want to find out about this blue effect so i can use it again, i'm not sure i could create it in photoshop? Well, it would too deliberate if i did, i like accidents!!! It seems to have brought out some interesting colour tones!

Thanks for the advice, and perhaps next time i will put something i'm more proud of up, just to show off!!

5. 'Daniel'

'Daniel' TPF Noob!

I can't see any pictures and in IE i get red Xs