Experimenting with photographing people. Feedback on 2 pics please.

Kaydub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Bought a Nikon D40 recently and taking my first dive into photography. As of now I've been bringing it along with me almost everywhere trying to get some good shots of friends.

I've tried to read allot but none of that matters if I don't go out and do it. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated on how these could be better. I have a solid technical background so feel free to use terms that might be over my head. I'm not scared to look things up.

The two below are unmodified, kit lens, no flash, saturation turned up in camera. Exposure might have been set -0.7 but I don't remember.

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0048-Copy.jpg

Im not one to give C&C yet but invest in the 35 1.8. The outside photo could have been way better with a lil added bokeh removing the background.

Im not one to give C&C yet but invest in the 35 1.8. The outside photo could have been way better with a lil added bokeh removing the background.

I ordered that a couple days ago after realizing the kit lens is terrible in low light. Good to hear it will improve my outside stuff as well. Can't wait to get it :) .

Edit: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF-S-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0]Lens I bought[/ame]

I ordered that a couple days ago after realizing the kit lens is terrible in low light. Good to hear it will improve my outside stuff as well. Can't wait to get it :) .

Edit: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF-S-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0"]Lens I bought[/ame]

Oh you have no idea. Also, down the line when you get your fisrt falsh, which you will, spend the extra money and got for the SB-600 as opposed to the 400. Got mine the other day and second best purchase after the 35mm. Read up on bounce flash. Takes your pics to a whole new level.

These are what I would call good snapshots - they're both good shots in terms of focus and exposure, as far as I can see, but they have too much going on to emphasise the subject. Particualrly, they both have busy backgrounds. Also the shadows on the face in #2 are pretty bad - a reflector helps in situations like that (harsh midday sun), however I realise that it's not usually practical to lug a reflector around with you when you're just taking pics of your mates. Your best bet is to take the shots at a different time of day or in some shade to avoid the harsh shadows.

Most reactions

Back