experimenting

nabero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Late last night I started experimenting with some pics from my trip in photoshop a bit...Any critiques of the photos/editing work would be great! I wasn't sure whether to put this post here or in the digital forums...hope it ends up where it's acceptable..

I haven't have the oppurtunity of any instruction in photography or editing (just flying by the seat of my pants and what I like) so...if anyone has some favorite tricks in photoshop or general tips they could share I'd be really greatful! :hail:

[I'm loving the snow we're getting here today!]

#1 (Door, Ireland)
n12301135307490538078qk7.jpg

#2 ("Czech Contemplation", Prague)
n12301135311992782568tu2.jpg

#3 ("Moment", Krimmler Wasserfaelle, Salzburg)
umbrellavi2.jpg

#4 ("untitled", Das Mahnmal gegen Krieg und Faschimus, Vienna)
n12301135311993892686ln3.jpg

cheers! :sillysmi:

(just flying by the seat of my pants and what I like)

errmm.. pants only? does it mena you are not wearing trousers? :p

anyway, regarding the images, I think the selectice colour works well with the first one, but the topmost 3 % of the image are disturbing. there is a thin stripe of the sky there... I would crop that off.

2 is very prague :) .. and seems you were focused on one individual only? :p

3: if the person with the umbrella was just not so close to the edge ...

4 ist interesting, but the sky is totally blown out. maybe it works better in b&W with some pushed up contrast?

Thanks for your suggestions! I cropped #1 and I like it much better now!

I would love to have both persons more inside the frame but sadly #3 wasn't a crop...it was a really quick shot that I didn't line up with any breathing room :(

I'm having a hard time making anything of the sky in #4 it was a quick shot i took on a really sunny day...I haven't been able to do anything to make the sky any less "flat":

Original:

n12301135_31199389_2686.jpg

B&W, bumped up contrast:
gegenoo5.jpg

Tried to darken the sky (i really hate this, just showing what I tried):
gegengreyco9.jpg

Any suggestions of how to make it less harsh? Anyone...feel free to show me what you'd do with if you have a spare moment:)

[oh, and to clear up any misunderstanding...I am wearing trousers ;)]

Cheers!

no shame in a little bump ;)

any more ideas on editing these/the edits I've already tried?

I'm having a hard time making anything of the sky in #4 it was a quick shot i took on a really sunny day...I haven't been able to do anything to make the sky any less "flat"

I am afraid there is nothing to do to rescue the sky. It was completely blown out in the original (the sky was too bright for the sensor or film to record any information). An alternative would be to use a more interesting sky from another picture.

I am afraid there is nothing to do to rescue the sky. It was completely blown out in the original (the sky was too bright for the sensor or film to record any information). An alternative would be to use a more interesting sky from another picture.

see...now that's why I'm here...that thought hadn't even been in the same zip code as my brain!.....i'm such a newbie :blushing:

i'll give it a shot...thanks!:boogie:

I like #1, I LOVE #2, but the red umbrella doesn't work 'for me' in #3.

With #2, is that the original focus ?
The 'inverted' selective colouring makes him seem really lonely, I barely noticed the menu in his hand, and I would be even better if it were not there at all.

...and Prague, Ireland, now I think you're just following me round... ;-)

and about #2...yeh the only editing I did to it was the selective coloring...it was just an animated conversation and he was sitting there in a daze...glad you like it!

well, if you think I'm following you now...what will you say when I'm in amsterdam in september? :greenpbl:

Most reactions

Back