Experts: How do you get pics to look like this?

photogirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,

I'm a total newbie to photography, and I've been looking through a lot of photographs to get a feel for different photographers' techniques. I came across this series of photographs in a book, and I like the style a lot. How is it done? Someone said they might be on Polaroid film?

-Can someone guess the set-up (lighting, camera, film) to a beginner?
-What's a good camera/film for a beginner to start experimenting in this kind of look?
-Oh, and one more question: Can this look be replicated with a digital camera - if so, how? Thank you!

http://i1.tinypic.com/ne7py0.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/ne7pyr.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/ne7pzq.jpg

The first and third are just using available light, the second is using an onboard flash. From the shape of the photos, I would confidently wager that they're 35mm SLR film camera shots. I'm not really in a position to judge the film - the pictures look a little low in contrast and colour from your captures, but the book doesn't necessarily look like this I presume.

I don't wish to sound harsh, but I don't actually percieve any style in these shots whatsoever. The first is a little clumsily composed, the second very unflattering and the third looks like someone's holiday photo.

What do you mean about the style: is it the content, arrangement, composition, lighting, grain, contrast, colour, subject?

Rob

1) windowlight
2) direct flash
3) overcast day

I don't see a particular reason to like them either.

I'm with the others. They look like they're from the William Eggleston school of composition. :p

Other than that, the only thing I can see in common is the low contrast and saturation.

But there's obviously something you like about them. I know it sounds like we are ragging on your choice here, but I think it would be good to find out what that is. Looking at others' work and figuring out what you specifically like and don't like about it can be a big help in developing your own photography. If there's something you like here, that would be a good thing to explore. We might be able to help point you to others who do it as well.

The only thing I can add to the other comments is to think about what markc is saying - I think what they have in common is the low color saturation. In the 70s a lot of images looked like this, whereas 80s stuff always seemed to be brighter and more intense - more saturated.

Might that be it?

LOL i don't know weather to give my input or be insulted if you think it takes an expert to size up those photos. Well my "expert" take on those, a $2 disposable camera and 10 year old to shoot them? LOL they look like some college students site on myspace.

Stevie Wonder could take photos that good.

Before this thread starts to sound too harsh and become counter-productive.... It wasn't my intention to critique the content at all, but I couldn't help myself. Do please say what you like about the pictures.

I'd like to know what you feel about the pictures and what makes them appealing to you.

Rob

Iron Flatline said:
The only thing I can add to the other comments is to think about what markc is saying - I think what they have in common is the low color saturation. In the 70s a lot of images looked like this, whereas 80s stuff always seemed to be brighter and more intense - more saturated.

Might that be it?

Hi, everyone. Thanks for your input. :) BernieSC, hehe, please don't be insulted. I meant "experts" to just get opinions from those who might be familiar with these kind of pictures. I didn't know the photos would get bad reviews! ;)

What do I like about them...I think Iron Flatline is correct. I just like the '70s low sat look to them. Also the feeling I get from looking at them. The settings look very comfortable (granted, they're in beds), and the pictures are not harsh. They depict something like a lazy Sunday, one of those apathetic moments.

Sorry, I just like them. :blulsh2:

Kodak Portra 160NC would be an example of a modern low saturation film. Are there any years labeled on the images? There's probably copyright info for each image in the back of the book.

bobaab said:
i see how you can like them, the 1st and 3rd picture has a somewhat nostalgic feel to them..for me at least.

Yeah, that's a good way to put it. :)

Markc, the photos are from 2003, if that helps.

markc said:
I'm with the others. They look like they're from the William Eggleston school of composition. :p

Other than that, the only thing I can see in common is the low contrast and saturation.

But there's obviously something you like about them. I know it sounds like we are ragging on your choice here, but I think it would be good to find out what that is. Looking at others' work and figuring out what you specifically like and don't like about it can be a big help in developing your own photography. If there's something you like here, that would be a good thing to explore. We might be able to help point you to others who do it as well.

first thing that came to my head. I still love that shot of the bulb!

Heh heh heh...he called you gustibus.

J/k, I know that much latin as well :D

OK, now I feel bad about liking them...:meh:

What photos should I like that most people do? Suggestions of photographers whose work I should check out would be appreciated.

Most reactions

Back