Expired Film

KaraElizabeth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So here's the thing... I took a risk on 8 rolls of expired 120 film. I really love crazy looking photos that can come from this and I got a good deal so I'm not too worried. I just want to make sure I expose it correctly. Does anybody have any tips for one (or all) of these films? I also contacted the companies individually. Fuji has responded and has no advice fro me. Psh. But I saw randomly on a Flickr photo or discussion or something that someone had to treat a film as a different speed because of the age, so now I'm curious.

Kodak
- 400 Color Negative film from October 1998.
- Tri-X Pan Black and white, ISO 400 from Janurary 200

Ilford
- FP4 ISO 125 Black and White from May 1993
- Pan F Plus 50 Black and White from October 2004
- XP2 400 Black and White from December 1997
- XP2 Plus 400 Black and white from July 2001

Fujifilm
- 2 Rolls of Fujichrome 64T Pro Color ISO 64 from December 1988

Thank you!

All the B+W films will be no problem, this is 26 years out of date TriX, but i do develope my own film
Developed in Rodinal 1+50

img305-XL.jpg

and this is 18 years out of date Ektar 100, i don't now if it was in the freezer it was on my wardrobe for a year

Scan-130608-0006-XL.jpg

So you shot them both normally? I think I'll be developing at least the B&Ws on my own. I'll be learning how to this month and will have access to a darkroom.

So you shot them both normally? I think I'll be developing at least the B&Ws on my own. I'll be learning how to this month and will have access to a darkroom.

I think i developed the first photo for 1 minute longer than specified but shot normally, i don't develope colour i don't shoot enough i get negs done for £2 a roll

This is some out of date Tmax 100 that i shot at 400 by mistake, so i did a 1 hour stand development in Rodinal 1+100

Scan-130721-0003-XL.jpg

I'm new to film and only shoot on my Yashica Mat. I didn't know it was possible to shoot on an incorrect ISO. I thought the ISO was dependent on the film. But I can treat my expired rolls normally? I don't have to treat it as half speed or anything? I guess that's what I'm trying to ask.

I'm new to film and only shoot on my Yashica Mat. I didn't know it was possible to shoot on an incorrect ISO. I thought the ISO was dependent on the film. But I can treat my expired rolls normally? I don't have to treat it as half speed or anything? I guess that's what I'm trying to ask.

These were shot with a Leica M4 (no light meter) but you can shoot it at any speed you want but you need to tell the lab what speed you shot it at, or if at home alter developemnent, before you develope your 120 film its best to practice on an old roll, 35mm you can start it off on the roll before you turn off the light or put it in the changing bag, my first 120 years ago was a nightmare

Yes, the ISO is film-dependent, and is arrived at very scientifically. However, in real, everyday life, many times the photographer chooses to shoot film using a different setting on his or her light meter, to expose the film either more-generously than suggested, or less-generously, with the idea of adding extra time in the processing solution to "push process" the film.

In common English, many people will say, "I shot this at ISO 200," for a 400 ISO film like Kodak Tri-X; the proper term when deviating from the manufacturer's ISO is "Exposure Index", often simply abbreviated as EI, or as E.I.. These days, the term "EI" has been lost,mostly. But that's the old, proper way to talk about the exposure meter setting, or index, that's used when a film is being either over- or under-rated.

I would have used EI but most on here only understand ISO

Exactly...that's pretty much what has happened Gary...the term "EI" has pretty much been left behind, and mostly it's older people in our age bracket that use the term EI. I know you know the term "EI", but using it would just be confusing in this context.

(I still think in ASA film speed...)

I would have used EI but most on here only understand ISO

Exactly...that's pretty much what has happened Gary...the term "EI" has pretty much been left behind, and mostly it's older people in our age bracket that use the term EI. I know you know the term "EI", but using it would just be confusing in this context.

(I still think in ASA film speed...)

If you go over to the Leica forum or Rangefinder forum its all EI, and if you start telling people that some developers make some films slower than stated we will up the creek without a paddle

Yes, the ISO is film-dependent, and is arrived at very scientifically. However, in real, everyday life, many times the photographer chooses to shoot film using a different setting on his or her light meter, to expose the film either more-generously than suggested, or less-generously, with the idea of adding extra time in the processing solution to "push process" the film.

In common English, many people will say, "I shot this at ISO 200," for a 400 ISO film like Kodak Tri-X; the proper term when deviating from the manufacturer's ISO is "Exposure Index", often simply abbreviated as EI, or as E.I.. These days, the term "EI" has been lost,mostly. But that's the old, proper way to talk about the exposure meter setting, or index, that's used when a film is being either over- or under-rated.

Ohhhh. Everything just clicked. Now I get it. Hehe, thank you both so much!

Here are a few from a roll that had been loaded into my brother-in-law's Pentax Spotmatic 20+ years ago, half shot, and then forgotten until a few months ago when he gave me the camera. He didn't remember what film it was and I had no idea, so I shot it blind. I think I exposed for a 200-400-ish ISO because those were the most likely speeds he would have used. Turns out it was Tri-X 400. Don't know what developer was used - I take mine to a local camera shop - but they didn't do anything special to it. As far as I know, you expose the film as though it were fresh, and the development can be adjusted to probably reduce some of the grain I got in these shots.

Folks who develop their own film: am I right? (I'm curious about this for my own future purposes as well for when I launch into developing my b&w film at home. And I'd like to experiment more with expired film.)
$Day 132 - Dog.jpg
$Day 132 - Rooster.jpg

I have used expired B/W film and paper that was 24 years expired work great.
Did not find any down grade of film or paper. If I had some today I would use both the film and paper

Good luck
Dave

Most reactions

Back