Expo Disc. Is it worth the money and how does it work?

jim44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've seen advertisements in the rags for years. Is this something you attach to the lens and it tells your WB software how to adjust? Went to the website and they're not cheap by any means. Any info would be appreciated.

Why use an Expodisc when you can shoot RAW and adjust to whatever you think looks good?

With modern batch processing, all you would have to do is adjust the WB on one image, and copy that info on the rest.

Yeah I don't think auto white balancing is a good solution by any means. I mean if you care that much about white balance and you still refuse to shoot in RAW you could always use a grey card and set a custom white point on the D200 with that card before you take a photo.

Or you could use a Styrofoam cup. Or a sheet of white paper or foam sheet.

People spend more money on photography 'gadgets of dubious worth' than some small countries spend on their defense budget.

I don't think I'd personally ever use it. I generally set a custom white balance by looking at each color channel. Of course, this is only possible with my mkII, not my 20D. I then correct one image in post and apply it to all the others with the same lighting. I have a grey/white/black card for setting WB and I keep it in my bag at all times, but I've never once used it! I've always forgotten, every single time. Hence why I figure I'd never use an expo disk!

There was a recent review in Digital Photo Review I believe that compared a bunch of these products against the cards. I must tell you, the cards actually stood up better than the gadjets. I was aobut to pull the trigger on teh expodisc, but hell, I can get a grey card for like a dollar! Sink the other 99 bucks into another L lens. :)

Most reactions

Back