exposer, expouser, xposer.. lol.. and the D90..

random2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can adjust exposer with the +/- button.. from +5 to - 5... This shows the smallest amount of change.. barely noticable.. I dont understand why even use it when I can just adjust shutter and aperature etc.. plus I can manipulate the ISO as well.. so why is that button even there.. It to me is useless..

Exposure compensation? Is that what you're asking about?

It does what it says - compensates. For those times when the meter just isn't right.

+/- 5, or +/- .5?

There's a big difference.

Yeah - half a stop (.5), you won't notice much. 5 stops though - huge difference.

You should have a much bigger range than +/- .5 though... 3 stops, at least I would think.

Your manual can probably explain this better than I can...

If you're biasing +/- 5EV then it should be the difference between a completely blown out and an almost completely black image. Something must be wrong. You're not shooting in Manual are you? exp compensation does nothing in manual other than make your light meter show a different reading.

That button is there to aid the automatic modes such as Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, or any of the AutoISO modes. There many cases where you want to shoot aperture priority and yet know full well that it will consistently underexpose by 1 stop (such as shooting in the snow), where the easiest solution is to bump the compensation up to +1EV and just keep shooting.

Most reactions

Back