Exposing for the sky

Point your camera at the sky (helps to be in spot-metering mode), preferably close to but not on the sun. Manually adjust settings, to compensate for a "good" exposure. Recompose your photograph, focusing on your subject. Take the picture. Profit.

presumably locking the exposure when the camera is pointed at the sky? is this effectively metering?

You're not locking it in (although there are some buttons that can do this), you are simply taking the reading off the sky and using that as your "base". You can adjust it based on that, and its good to know just how much light is in a scene.

yes after you have it set for the sky dont adjust anything for the exposure....just let it focus on it....and more than likely your camera well be yelling at you the item in way underexposed just ignore it and take the picture

Because I can not separate exposure lock and focus lock on my camera (does both on the half shutter push), I mainly shoot in manual and do the "expose for the sky" all the time. This is when I am going to be shooting outside in the direct sunlight as opposed to in shadows of course.

I shoot a lot when outside playing with the kids and the dog.

Alternative things to do would be to meter on the grass or use the palm of your hand.

Most reactions

Back