Exposure and Lighting Question

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by vannahcometrue, Jan 25, 2010.

1. vannahcometrue

vannahcometrue TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Okay. So I have a question.
    I came across this picture someone else took and
    I really love the lighting and exposure. This guys pictures, not just one,
    but like 80% of them came out looking clear and full like this. I particularly
    like the way the little boys eyes are so beaming....It looks overexposed in the background hear his head but the rest like his eyes and face...
    How does he do that???? I shoot with a Nikon D40. What setting is it or how does he get that look? Thanks!

http://i47.tinypic.com/f41es8.jpg

Savannah

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2010
  2. The image was shot with a "fast" lens, which means it has a big aperture (small number) like f/2.8 - hence the eyes are in focus, whereas the background is "soft". Then the image had the color saturation cranked up, easily to +30% or more. Finally, the eyes were sharpened.

This is an easy shot for you to do, but you will need a fast lens (or fake the background softness in Photoshop, which takes a long time and never looks "right".)

Btw, some people really get their panties in a knot over the posting of images of others - either the photographer, or some forum Revolutionary Guard. Just link to the image at its original site. I think for a skill or creative conversation like this one on a photo forum it ought to be ok, but there you go...

3. ...actually, this shot was probably taken with a 50mm lens set to f/1.4... it seems a little wide, it might have been a 35mm lens, but no wider, and not much longer either.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's a combination of things.
    As mentioned, a 'fast' lens helps to give the shallow DOF.
    The shot is clearly 'over exposed' from what a camera's meter would give. A camera's meter is designed to turn everything into an 'average' scene (18% grey). So if you want something brighter or darker, you need to override the camera's meter by using EC (exposure compensation) or by putting it into Manual mode.
    Lastly, is post processing. It's likely that shots like this have been edited to have this look to them.

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    In addition, the whites of the little boys eyes have been editied to make them more white and the irises have been sharpened a ton. It probably that the color of the iris' has been saturated too.

He skin has been edited with a guassian blur to make it look softer which accents the over processed eyes.

6. vannahcometrue

vannahcometrue TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks guys. I will have to try this even though it sounds like alot of different things. Sorry about the direct image. I will link it to the correct official site next time.

7. anel

anel TPF Noob!

it's 25-40% gear and the rest in post production in this shop. can't you see the "PS" at the bottom left? that's Photoshop =)