Exposure bias in EXIF data, effect on exposure settings in EXIF data?

Bob Peters 61

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bobpeters61.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As part of my eclipse planning, I checked on some night sky pictures I had in my computer from my Olympus Pen-Lite EPL 6 compact mirrorless using its kit lens, looking to gleen exposure information from the EXIF data. The least blown out moon with visible stars showing had the following settings: f-5.6, exposure time 2 sec., ISO 200, exposure bias +2 steps, shutter priority.

I plan to shoot 800 film in my 35mm through an f-8 Tmount lens, so two stops faster for the ISO and one stop slower for the aperture brings me to a 1 second shutter speed to which to bracket during totality. However, I don't know whether that 2 step exposure bias was applied before the exposure settings listed or if it was adjusted to two stops slower than those settings.

How does that bias work in the EXIF data?

Wait, you're talking photos of the moon that you took, this one coming up is a solar eclipse. You'd need a solar filter, and recommendations I've read say to use the viewscreen (obviously for digital cameras).

There are articles on Canon's and Nikon's websites, as well as NASA. I was just reading that permanent eye damage could occur within seconds of looking directly at the sun.

The settings for the moon shots sound reasonable for the next time you want to shoot the, uh, wait a minute let me rephrase that - photograph the moon.

I have a filter designed for solar viewing through a telescope, which filter I've clamped down onto a filter thread adapter ring with which I've verified I can screw it securely on and easily off of the lens, as well as eclipse glasses on the AAS's list for safe viewing. But I'm in the path of totality, so there will be a brief window of time in which the filter comes off and it's safe to view with bare eyes.

I've already tried out my filter and found the best settings there until it gets dim and I'll just have to bracket my best guesses. I was just trying to get a rough idea where to shoot the visible corona during totality, so I figured night sky would be a decent analog.

Since I've never gotten a comparison of brightness between the Moon and the visible corona in a total eclipse (not to be mistaken for an annular eclipse in which you don't have that window of unfiltered safety) I'm prepared for similar as well as dimmer corona brightness. There's supposed to be just under two minutes, totality, so I figure that's time to grab "luney 11" as well as my closest night picture I have for settings, possibly a mid-point in between if I just fire away.

I just wasn't sure if the exposure bias listed in the EXIF would affect the settings it shows.

Last edited:
To get back to your original question, exposure bias gets applied to the metered exposure reading so that the aperture and shutter speeds reported in the EXIF data (and for that matter the meter readings shown on the camera) are the result of applying the exposure bias to the camera exposure meter reading.

Most reactions

Back