Exposure Compensation

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Crosby, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Crosby

Crosby TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    When do you, if at all, use exposure compensation? I've used it before to give a slightly underexposed picture to help bring out some color and to set a mood. But lately, in post processing, I've noticed that more and more of my pictures I am bumping up the exposure a 1/2 stop or so (my camera only compensates in 1/3rds). I am judging this by the histogram and looking at the picture while comparing before and after edits.

I understand from reading that some camera light meters just don't get the exposure right and compensation is needed. I was just wondering how some of you are using exposure compensation and when you see the need to compensate.

2. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I use it all the time in Aperture Priority mode. In bright situations, the D300 likes to screw around and overexpose. Pulling a stop out of it seems to do the trick.

And its always better to (slightly) underexpose than definitely overexpose.

3. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not sure what you have, but there's usually an option to change it to 1/2 stop increments via custom function.

Personally, I don't use it much. I cases where I would want to use it, I just go to M and do it manually.

4. Crosby

Crosby TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks ANDS! Would you say you generally have to over or under compensate, or is it strictly case by case senario?

5. Crosby

Crosby TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm, not sure on the custom function... Canon 30D, it may have a 1/2 stop in custom. Never tried it, I was just wondering if many people use it or do you adjust in post processing.

Sure, manual exposure, for set up shots or when I have the time to adjust, but Av is probably the majority of my shots.

Thanks for your comments.

6. ANDS!

Photos OK to edit
    If I'm outside, especially if I'm shooting people on the streets. . .I will dial in a stop less of exposure. Inside or on days where its not too cloudy, I'll probably go full manual and do 1/3 stop less, maybe 2/3rd's.

7. Rich Ardt

Rich Ardt TPF Noob!

Now here and then there. Can't seem to settle. I w
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Its not always a good idea to slightly underexpose, though it is an inherent habit of mine too, coming from a background of shooting a lot of slide film.

There are those who say that with digital it's better to overexpose slightly. And it makes a whole lot of sense when you look at the reasoning and the facts. You'll enjoy reading this: Expose Right

Otherwise, because the camera's light meter is calibrated to read 18%, or mid gray, it tends to underexpose bright scenes and overexpose darker scenes. These are the times when you want to consciously and carefully compensate, i.e. slightly overexposing a bright scene (such as a snowy landscape), and slightly underexposing a dark scene, or subject.

8. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have to disagree. I am having far better results by slightly over exposing and pulling back in post than pushing exposure up.

Expose to the Right

9. Crosby

Crosby TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sure enough, custom function 06 allows 1/2 increments of exposure compensation. Thanks Jeep guy

10. Crosby

Crosby TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks everyone, I'll have to sneak a peek at this tomorrow at work for work comes early in the AM.

Rich, are you the author on Luminous-landscape? I read some stuff on there earlier.

11. ANDS!

Photos OK to edit
    Those article links dont really address what I was talking about. In the examples linked he hasn't really overexposed the image, just has lost the blacks, which are eaiser to dial back in then non-existent overexposed pixels.

12. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I like this topic!
    I tend to under expose, myself. I find this mainly to do with what the image looks like on the LCD screen, which is decieving. The instant feedback is nice, but not always "correct".