Exposure Compensation

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Ricky21, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Ricky21

Ricky21 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Can the exposure compensation only be adjusted in AV mode? I shoot with a Canon XS and it seems like I can't adjust this in M mode.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    EC works off the meter reading. It's adjusts the exposure + or - from the settings recommended by the meter.

In manual mode, the meter does not affect the exposure settings...therefore, EC is not possible.

In other words, it works in every mode except manual. When you are in manual, you can simply adjust the shutter speed, aperture or ISO and it will have the same effect as using EC.

3. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    exposure compensation is usually used in the program modes, i.e. av or tv. With manual metering one just adjust the exposure manually using the metering bar at the bottom of the view camera.

For years both Nikon and Canon did not allow for this program to be used in manual mode; that still may be in effect, but i am not familar with every new camera that comes along these days so that might have changed.

However, if you can't use the function in manual mode then i would seem logically that with your camera model you will need to be in either av or tv mode.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I almost forgot, I think that some (maybe all) Nikon cameras do allow you to use EC in manual mode...it offsets the meter display, so that when it shows +1, you could actually have it set to +2 (or whatever).
    Crazy Nikon :scratch:

5. Ricky21

Ricky21 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

That makes sense. Thank you

6. TomBlaze

TomBlaze TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A quick technical breakdown of how this works:

-In aperture priority mode, EC with either increase or decrease shutter speed based on your setting

-In shutter priority mode, EC will increase or decrease aperture size based on your setting

-In manual mode, you set aperture and shutter manually but in this case you can chose if you want to compensate with more/less aperture or more/less shutter speed.

Don't know about program mode. Never used it. I use aperture priority most of the time, shutter priority for action shots and Manual mode for tricky exposures and macro photography.

7. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All of the non-computerized cameras from years past incorporate the EC dial as part of the meter's ISO input information. This means that EC affects the meter reading regardless of whether the meter is allowed to make some or all of the exposure settings (various automatic modes) or whether you are using manual. Some of today's computerized cameras do the same, others disable the EC when in manual.

8. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    On Nikon, in M mode when you playing with EC you are adjusting flash output (either builtin or external). Also using Nikon's CLS when playing with EC again you'll adjust the flash output.

9. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yep. When you dial in EC on a Nikon that is in manual mode, the light meter is biased so that when the meter is set on zero your exposure is now at your selected + or - EC value. Easy peezy,extra cheezy.

10. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No you're biasing the meter. The meter will still meter everything and adjust everything that it can automatically adjust. If you have a flash on your camera then that's another element the camera can auto adjust. You're not "adjusting the flash" directly, and there's a function specifically for that called "Flash Exposure Compensation" that does exactly that.

Just to clear up any misconception the EC button biases only the exposure meter. The camera then makes an exposure based on the following but only AFTER it has measured and biased the meter:
    - Shutter Speed
    - Aperture
    - ISO (If you have AutoISO enabled)
    - Flash (If you have TTL flashing enabled)

The interesting thing here is that your camera can be set to "M" mode but if AutoISO is still on then the camera will still ultimately control the exposure (within a limited range naturally). Though I'm sure no one here actually uses AutoISO ;)

11. RONDAL

RONDAL TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i hate EC. i always forget about it, and then i'll go and do a shoot on another day and everything is so dark and i dont realize until later. chimping in sunlight SUCKS

12. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Histogram Ronadal, Histogram ;)