Exposure dilema

how about just turning the bride around so she's properly lit?
:))) you're right! But this is a written test

Ok but your passing or failing this test does nothing to help my general knowledge of photography... The fact that you're turning to an online forum to cheat is kind of sleazy. I'd rather see a discussion about how to deal with a difficult situation. Just my 2cents..

Thank you all!! You gave me a lot of help. I think I'll choose both, spot metering on the face and on the dress. This is a stupid question. I won't fail because the test has 12 questions and I'm only struggling with this one.
This teacher is a good photographer, he has like 10 books published, maybe he has a hidden purpose :D
I'll know the result on the 9th Nov. I'll let you know!

Hi Vautrin
I'm 50 years old and have a master on Neuroscience, do you think I care if I fail or pass this exam??????????????? Or do you think I posted this question because it would be interesting for discussion??

Last edited:
Thanks. I think so too but my argument would be that I would use post production to mix both pictures in lightroom and use the best of each. I don't know how to do it yet but I know it's possible.
Would it be a valid argument?

Thanks. I think so too but my argument would be that I would use post production to mix both pictures in lightroom and use the best of each. I don't know how to do it yet but I know it's possible.
Would it be a valid argument?

Well if you were going to combine multiple exposures then your method of metering wouldn't be nearly as important. Your original post posed the question of how to achieve the best exposure under those circumstances. The question isn't how to fix the exposure with post processing.

I'm a little confused, since I thought this was a multiple choice question. If so, how could you "argue" the question?

My understanding of matrix metering is that the camera will evaluate the whole scene. Exactly how it goes about this, and how many areas are actually being evaluated, varies by camera manufacturer. I think that method of metering will also take into consideration the area of sharpest focus based on AF point. I could be wrong, since I am not that familiar with exactly how that type of metering works.

I think the question is silly and unrealistic, as others have pointed out. But if I had to make the choice, I'd choose matrix metering.

This teacher is a good photographer, he has like 10 books published...

"But it was the best butter." - Lewis Carroll via the Mad Hatter in reference to lubricating a pocket watch.

Being a good photographer and successful "writer" of 10 photo books doesn't mean you know how to write clear questions or even know how to teach at all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back