Exposure Help

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by vonDrehle, Aug 10, 2005.

1. vonDrehle

vonDrehle TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Lately as I have been trying to use the manual settings, mainly Shutter-Priority and Aperature-Priority I'm not ready for complete control, the exposure meter doesn't seem to move. It will sit at the dot beside the right down in the picture below and no matter what I do I can't get it to move except for a twitch here and there. I try every shutter speed and it wont do anything. Am I don't something wrong?

[​IMG]
    Not my camera's LCD but you get the point.

Thanks.

2. kfoster

kfoster TPF Noob!

then the meter is working the way its supposed to. When you are in apeture priority mode, the camera uses the meter to set the shutter speed for correct exposure. When you use shutter priority mode the camera uses the meter to set the apeture for correct exposure. As you adjust either the apeture or the shutter speed the camera will make the necessary adjustment.

Try using manual mode. You will definitely get the meter to change.

K

3. vonDrehle

vonDrehle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    But shouldn't the little mark over the meter saying if it was under or over exposed move when I say change the shutter speed in shutter priority (Tv)?

But your right it does change in manual.

4. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When you're in Av or Tv mode, the metering scale should always stay on 0 (ie - correctly exposed).

When you're in Av mode for example, you change the aperture yourself, but the camera changes the shutter speed automatically to make sure the exposure is correct.
    Same for when you're in Tv. If you change the shutter speed to what you want, the camera will automatically select the aperture.

5. vonDrehle

vonDrehle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So should I be worried that it is hanging out to the right in Av and Tv? My photos don't seem to be overexposed so it could just be a glitch.

6. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have a good photo book (or google) look up “exposure value” it’s the amount light present and that is what the meter is reading[font=&quot]
    [/font]

7. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    [font=&quot]
    [/font]That a ½ stop off, that maybe ok, not 100% sure

8. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

If your exposure comp is hanging out to the right, it just means that you've made an adjustment that is making the camera have to make compensations to your exposure. It could mean that you're in Tv mode and have selected a shutter speed that is too slow for the smallest Fstop so it's having to compensate.

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Av & Tv are PRIORITY modes. That means that you decide what is most important (either a certain shutter speed or aperture) and the camera bases does the rest to determine exposure.

When you are in Tv and you change the shutter speed, the meter stays in the middle, but did you notice that for every step you change the shutter speed...the aperture also changes? It's the same in Av...every step in aperture will also change the shutter speed.

If you want to change the actual exposure...use exposure compensation or manual mode.

10. vonDrehle

vonDrehle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Alright thanks everyone. I've have noticed the aperture and shutter speed changing together. I was just worried that the exposure is never in the center no matter what I put it on. By saying no matter what I put it on I mean going threw every possible shutter speed and it not change.

11. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

Sounds like you have a EV compensation set.