exposure help

JimmyJaceyMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok before you say anything about these let me explain why they are so odd. I am having lots of trouble having the same 'vision' that a lot of you have as far as the way a picture should look. I think this may be because 1. I don't have much knowledge about all of the things that are capable with the editing programs and
2. the subjects I have are my children and so they kinda always look ok to me LOL. You know what I mean?
So I'm trying to learn how to take good pictures without my flash but without it being very very bright. Until now I have only gotten blurry pictures you cant even see if I wasnt using the flash. I cut off the head on purpose so that it being my kid would not distract me. However I still dont know what to do to make the picture look better!!! GRRR

example.jpg

SEE? This is all I can think to do with it. I try fiddling with it all but I cant tell what looks good. Sorry if this is annoying to put in here but this is where all the people I 'know' post. :)
example2.jpg

Well, here's what I came up with. Not sure if it's any good or not...

Attachments

• $example.jpg
    $example.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 124
What about the picture don't you like? Right now it seems the white balance is off so the image's quite yellow, which can be easily fixed, but other than that I would try to identify what about the photo is actually bothering you, then it shouldn't be too hard technically to fix it (if it is a technical issue).

Here's with the white balance corrected
tpf_JimmyJaceyMom.jpg

Sorry... I don't remember what camera you're using. You're right in that it's exposure that needs attention.

If you want to work without flash, there are a couple of things to think about.

1. You will need a certain level of light to make an exposure. Low light conditions require a decision about ISO. When shooting at a lower ISO... say 100, you will have good quality but will need more light. If you choose a higher ISO... say 1600, you can work in lower light, but the image quality will suffer. So the best choice is to use the lowest ISO that a situation permits. If you have a moving subject, you may need a quicker shutter speed, requiring a higher ISO.

The next thing to think about is color balance. All light sources are not of the same color temperature. For example, light from a table lamp is much warmer than sunlight coming through a window. The camera need to be "told" what light source you use to make images with correct color. If you look at known colors in an image, you can determine if the color balance is close to correct. A known white object is a good indicator. I think the plush toy in this image has white in it, but it looks yellowish... or too warm.

I played with it a bit, but that's just hit and miss. There are others here that can give you good help with this.

My advice is to make as many adjustments as possible in the camera. If your camera allows different ISOs and color balance, I would start there.

I hope this helps.

Pete

Attachments

• $example.jpg
    $example.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 84
perylousdemon - that loooks great, thank you! :)

Mr.e... the color to it is what was bothering me. I know that the focus was only on part of the image also, but for me the shots I was practicing with yesterday are among the first I can even make out without having used a flash.

Christie Photo
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I appreciate your time. I did do some messing around with the ISO and I think that was what I was more focused on then I forgot about the white balance. I put it on auto, but i have tried before to do that custom white balance and for some reason it always looks blue when I follow what the book says to do.

I'm using a Canon Rebel XT. I know it would be just as easy for me until next semester comes and I can start school - if I'm lucky... but I feel if i were to do that I could have settled on any old camera and I think this thing is capable of so much more than what I can do wiith it so far. Thanks for the patience, time and knowledge. :)

Buy a book on exposure and do some reading. If you do plan to take a class, great. You'll be one step ahead of everyone else when you get to class. If not, you'll have a great resource to teach yourself.

"Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson is highly recommended.

I always recommend this site as well. http://www.photo.net/learn/making-photographs/exposure

Buy a book on exposure and do some reading. If you do plan to take a class, great. You'll be one step ahead of everyone else when you get to class. If not, you'll have a great resource to teach yourself.

"Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson is highly recommended.

I always recommend this site as well. http://www.photo.net/learn/making-photographs/exposure

Thanks I', about to go check out that site. I have already ordered that book. I have read about 3 other ones from the library but everyone here seems to agree that the one by Brian Peterson is the one to get. :) Thanks you!

Most reactions

Back