Exposure issues

Nikon Sean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a new shooter (4-5 months) using a Nikon D3300 with 18-55 and 55-300 kit lenses. I am using center weighted metering but no matter what I use it seems like a fair amount of time after I take a photo I would check the rear screen on my camera (chimping I think they call it )and exposure looks good but after loading into computer and viewing I see a imagine that is much darker (underexposed). I figured that maybe my screen on my camera is to bright but if it was I suppose that all my images be under exposed.

Is there anything I am doing wrong, or a setting I should change, or use different metering?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Thanks
Sean

Learn to read a histogram instead of trying to judge exposure by looking at what is essentially a super-teeny thumbnail JPEG.

I only use the image on the monitor to check for focus and framing.

It does sound as if the camera's rear LCD screen might have its brightness level cranked wayyyyy up.

Center-weighted metering can be user-customized somewhat, and the user can set a smallish center-weighted circle size. On most Nikon viewfinder screens, there is a scribed, 12mm diameter center circle; THAT was, for many years, the metering system's main emphasis, with 60 percent of the meter's emphasis being based on whatever was in the 12mm diameter circle, then the remaining 40% spread across the entire remaining frame area, this 60/40 system went to 80/20 in the F3, then back to 60/40. If you have accidentally got the center-weighted circle set to 6mm, what you have in effect can be a semi-spot metering system.

You might try the Matrix metering option.

You might verify that the rear LCD screen brightness is NOT set overly high, and also check to see if the camera is set to Minus exposure compensation. Another option is to do a two-button reset of the camera, and get it set back to the factory default options, and proceed from there.

Learn how to read a histogram.
A histogram can be displayed on the read LCD. See pages 174, 220, and 271 in your D3300 Reference Manual.

The rear LCD can only be effectively used to evaluate composition and focus (by zooming into the image).
The rear LCD cannot be effectively used to evaluate exposure or color.
Exposure cannot be evaluated because the amount of ambient light falling on the LCD varies, and the rear LCD cannot be calibrated for gamma (brightness) nor color.

Your camera has 3 light metering modes because each one has it's uses. Page 114 of the reference manual describes situations for using each metering mode.
However, because of the way the metering sensor is calibrated you may need to use one of the metering modes in a situation that warrants it.
Wedding photographers often do so because they have a bride in a white dress and a groom in a black tux.

Understanding Camera Metering and Exposure

Thank you guys so much!!. I have since done some research on the histograms and started paying more attention to mine. Results are alot more consistent with what I want and the rest of the photos on my memory card making it alot easier to fix by making fine tunes instead of fixing everything trying to get the best photo.

I am shooting jpeg for now and very soon will do raw when I get Lightroom.

Thanks again!!!

FYI. The photo on the screen LIES!!!!! As already stated, it is good for checking composition and focus. Learn and understand the exposure triangle and how to read you scene so you understand the histogram.

I am with Buckster. I tend to find that Nikons over expose if you are using any other mode than manual, and you compensate for it. I also ten to find that my rear screen while off to some extent is never that far off.
Also I use spot metering when I am not in Matrix. I have and always will hate Center Weighted Metering, because I rarely center my subject.
Also start shooting in RAW+Jpeg Fine now even though you do not have Lightroom yet. Because when you do get LR you will regret not having shots from now that you could have done more with. Also I do under expose my images to varying degrees, This is because with Nikon images you can bring back more for an under exposed image than over.

Most reactions

Back