Exposure question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by darkchild, Sep 23, 2010.

1. darkchild

darkchild The Punisher

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What does "exposure" mean? i hear people saying exposure a lot. like on the lightning pics everyone says "30 seconds exposure" or 1.3 exposure, what does that mean?

2. white

white TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It means exposing the light-sensitive material for a set duration of time in order to produce an image.

3. LCARSx32

LCARSx32 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Whenever you take a picture you are "exposing" the sensor (or film) to light. So the process of taking a picture is commonly referred to as an "exposure".

It' also is used to mean that the correct settings were used. People will say "over exposed" to mean too bright, "under exposed" to mean too dark.

*EDIT*

Damn. You beat me to it! lol. You're fast!

4. DanFinePhotography

DanFinePhotography TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would highly recommend Bryan Petersons book "understanding Exposure". you can find it on Amazon Here

5. Bram

Bram TPF Noob!

Bergen op Zoom, Noord Brabant, Netherlands
    Photos OK to edit
    Google
    Wikipedia

??

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Exposure is controlled by 3 adjustments:
    1. How big the opening (aperture) is in the lens. The bigger the opening, the more light being let in. This also controls how much of the scene, from front to back, is in focus, and is called Depth-Of-Field (DOF). Lens aperture is expressed as a fraction of the lens focal length. When the lens opening is 1/2 as wide as the lens focal length it is called f/2, the f substituting for the number 1. If the lens opening is 1/4th the lens focal length, the lens aperture is set to f/4, and so on.
    2. How long the shutter is open. The longer the shutter is open, the more time there is light to hit the image sensor (or film), for things to move and blurr because of that movement. Obviously, how long the shutter is open is not relevent for stationary objects. The shutter is usually only open for a fraction of a second in daylight, perhaps only 1/4000th of a second. Night time exposure may be for several seconds.
    3. The last part of controlling exposure is called ISO and is a measure of how sensitive the image sensor (or film) is to light. In bright daylight, low ISO values (100) are used, at night high ISO values are used (6400).

7. darkchild

darkchild The Punisher

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ok so what does "30 second exposure" mean?

8. white

white TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :madmad: :puke: :banghead: :gah:

9. lyonsroar

lyonsroar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The camera is sensitive to light (shutter is open) for 30 seconds.

10. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

It doesn't say anything about how sensitive to light the camera is, it just says the shutter was open for 30 seconds.

In a 30 second exposure, anything that moves while the shutter is open will be blurred. A 30 second exposure is usually only used when there is very little light getting to the image sensor (or film).

Any comment about exposure that deals with time - means they are talking about shutter speed. Comments about aperture or f-stops, are about the size of the lens opening. Comments about ISO, are about the image sensor (or film) sensitivity to light.

You may hear someone say to add or subtract a 'stop' of exposure. A doubleing of an exposure value, be it shutter speed, lens aperture, or ISO is adding a 'stop'. A halving of an exposure value, be it shutter speed, lens aperture, or ISO is subtracting a 'stop'.

In the case of lens aperture, a doubleing or halving is refering to the area of the lens opening, not the diameter. As a consequence f-stop numbers are a function of the square root of 2: √2.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  11. BuS_RiDeR

BuS_RiDeR No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The film or sensor is exposed to light for 30 seconds... ie: the shutter is open for 30 seconds...