Exposure Question

ceemac

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought an adaptor to use my older lenses with my Canon t5i. The exposure using 2 similar lenses is off by at least a mile. Using my t5i and the Canon 50mm lens in AV, I get an good exposure of 1/13 at f5.6. With the t5i and the older 55mm lens the t5i in AV exposes for 1 sec at f5.6. Setting the t5i in manual to 1/13 at f5.6 gives me the correct exp with the older lens. The adaptor holds in the M/A pin on the old lens which puts the aperture into manual mode, so the aperture stays at whatever I set it for. Why can't the t5i meter correctly with the old lens?

Does the adapter have the electrical contacts needed between the lens and the camera for the camera to meter correctly?

Yes it does, Keith. But it's my understanding that the contacts are to tell me when I have the lens focused properly, which it does. The camera starts beeping. I read the reviews on the adaptor which mentioned something about being able to calibrate it for focusing, but I haven't discovered how.
I just found some instructions. I don't knoow if they apply to metering, but I'll put the question on hold til tomorrow
Thanks

Last edited:
OK problem solved. I found the instructions on the internet and followed them. The adaptor also needs to be programmed for the largest aperture of the lens. (in this case f2.8. ) As long as I set the camera to f2.8 and leave it there, I seem to get the correct exposure thru the full f-stop range on the lens itself. The lens can only be used in AV or manual, which is fine with me.

Most reactions

Back