Exposure questions

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Sirene, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Sirene

Sirene TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Do you think exposure bracketing is useless ? Take too much time ? Do you find it easier to change exposure in Ps later ?

Why use exposure compensation and not change speed or aperture ?

Bonus question :
    Does it ever come to a point where you don’t really use the histogram anymore?​

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1. Bracketing is definitely useful. Change via PP is not the same quality as getting it right the first time.

2. I don't understand the question. Exposure compensation IS changing speed and/or aperture. ISO changes are appropriate only if you're beyond the capability of speed/aperture combinations.

3. I rarely use the histogram. Visual appearance of the photo itself is priority with me.

3. shed301

shed301 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you photograph a lot of hdr like i do then exposure bracketing is a must have option

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Exposure bracketing can be done automatically on most bodies--just dial in the bracketing info for your camera, and let the camera auto-bracket for you. If you shoot in JPEG mode, bracketing, either exposure bracketing, or white balance bracketing, can be worthwhile.

The only time I bracket via ISO is on controlled studio shots where it is easier to adjust the ISO rather than the lighting, or when doing "how-to" sequence shots where the camera is tripod mounted,and adjusting ISO is an easy way to get more or less exposure.

Histogram: it's the number one in-camera tool for gauging exposure. It's right there, and it tells me a lot about how strong or weak the actual exposure is in relation to f/stop and speed and ISO. I think it is a valuable tool for exposure decisions.

5. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    my 2 cents comes from years of experience.

when i first started to learn how to use a camera , and in those days, it was only manual mode; nothing else was available, and i did a lot of bracketing.

years later, i never bracket and rarely use the histogram unless i am working with a new camera and want to get a feel of what the meter is recommending.

When i started to do IR work with digital i also used the histogram to check what was going on as the lCD shows dark magenta and one can't see a thing :).