Exposure/White Balance C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by netriaus, Feb 27, 2009.

1. netriaus

netriaus TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    More photos of my nephew. I'm really working on getting my exposure and white balance down and would appreciate anything anyone has to say.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm planning on putting these into a book for my sister for her birthday. I figured that it would be a good project to learn how to use my D80.

It probably seems like the only photos I take are of this kid! The next nice day, I plan on traipsing through the woods to see what kind of photos I can get there.

Thanks!

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I like the perspective of #1; definitely not a conventional portrait shot, but I like it. The focus is good, and the overall exposure is fine and the white balance seems very close.

#1: The face is slighly washed out below the eyes. I'd tweak this using the levels/curves tool in your favorite post app. I'd also boost the saturation slightly.

#2: Again slightly washed out (I'm guessing due to your flash being too close). I'd try reshooting this one again and dropping the exposure 1/3 - 1/2 stop.

#3: Nice, great expression, and WB is spot on. The exposure here though is a bit extreme. The highlights on the left side of his face (Camera right) are about 1/3 stop over, and the shadows on the right (camera left) are too deep. A second light or reflector camera left would have save it.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

3. hankejp

hankejp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice pics, but is it me or does the face/head look a little OOF on #3? The boots look to be in focus. Maybe it's just my eyes.