exposure... without a meter

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by blackdoglab, Jul 17, 2007.

1. blackdoglab

blackdoglab yeah I'm easy.... but I'm not cheap

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The meter on Boris just took a dive and I don't feel like getting it fixed. On the other hand, I don't really have the money for or want a handheld meter ( i try to keep it simple when I go out, camera, 35mm prime, and everready case... sometimes a polarizer or orange filter) Here's the odd thing, I'm still suspicious of this sunny f16 rule. I guess I've become a bit of a meter junkie but at the same time want a better understanding of light and exposure. With that said, is there a good link to information on the whole sunny f16 thing or if you folks have personal experience (i mean with a meter going dead or just nuts when out shooting) chime in and tell all.

2. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I often shoot pretty open. So I'll up the shutter speed to compromise. If I have to shoot without a meter. I'll bracket by a stop in either direction.

3. blackdoglab

Photos OK to edit
    Hmmmm... I never thought about that...

I did some online research and might get a little exposure calculator

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, just go by sunny 16 and brakcet.

5. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have used it often, but i use f11 instead of 16 and have adjusted for the lighting conditions.

on the old kodak film boxes they used to have a small guide that was a based on the sunny 16 rule. Believe it or not, it works.

there are a lot of photographers who have made wonderful negatives without light meters; they learn to "read" the light. I have a friend who can tell me down to 1/2 second with the correct fstop.

6. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Yes, it works. Many, many a photojournalist had to make a shot on a spur of the moment basis and didn't have a meter, or didn't have the time. Anyone of them worth there salt used the sunny/16 rule and got the shot. It does work, and work well. You might want to find an old Kodak pocket photography guide. It had a little dial type exposure calculator in it that will help and with practice you'll learn exposures and not need it.

7. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental We're supposed to post photos?

If you shoot film a lot it's good practice to play the Assistant's Boredom game. Estimate the exposure by eye and then check it with a meter. Use the 'sunny 16' as a starting point.
    If you practice you can certainly get accurate. When I was an assistant I knew several people who could guesstimate to within 1/4 stop. I was reasonably accurate to 1/2 stop, which is good enough*.
    Always use a meter if possible - but being able to do it by eye can be a life saver.

*Unless you play the Boredom game with someone good. The rules were that the person furthest from the correct exposure (and we used meters accurate to 1/10th stop) bought everyone else a drink at the nearest pub.

8. blackdoglab

Photos OK to edit

Right on the money, folks. I took out a camera with a working meter and sure 'nuff, it gave me f11 at 1/125 for asa 100 film... Hooray